Hot and Sunny = Dangerous Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Saunders

Was out for a 109 mile ride from Dundee, up to the Glenshee Ski Centre and back. Really hot and sunny, between 23 and 28c most of the way round. Normally I have no issue when cycling in the country - just very occasionally - however, on this ride I encountered 3 idiots and 1 almost

Is it just me or has the recent sunny warm weather brought all the idiot drivers out on to the roads !!?

1) This could have been nasty. Cycling along A93 towards Glenshee, a few miles past Lair. The road is very undulating with a quite a number of short 100 yard ramps of 6% so there are alot of blind crests and dips. I could hear a car approaching from behind at speed and as it got closer I could see a motorcyclist approaching from in front. At this point I was about to crest one of the hills and the engine note of the car behind change as if to accelerate. I put my right hand out to try to tell the driver to stop, and not overtake. Thankfully they did as they would have wiped out the motorcyclist and probably me with it. Got a nod from the motorcyclist and the car driver flashed the indicators when the finally, sheepishly, overtook me. Phew.

2) Incident 2 was about 5 or 6 miles along the same stretch of road, nearer to Glenshee. Road was still narrow, and a motorcyclist decided to overtake a car just as the car was about to come level with me (heading towards me) ... left me not a lot of room, and he must have been doing over 100mph and I felt I had nowhere to go but right into the gutter.

3) Incident 3 was also on the A93 a short distance to the north of Bridge of Cally. A car decided to overtake me close to a partially blind bend. They gave me plenty of space ... not so good for the car coming towards us which was clearly visible. They were forced to brush against the grassy bank to avoid a collision - there couldn't have been much in it.

4) Back in Dundee, heading down the back of Camperdown Country Park. Short incline then a steep 10-15% descent. Car decides it wants to overtake just before the blind crest. I can just see over top and a car is approaching so again I stick out my hand to say "woah, stop, don't overtake" but they proceeded. Cue both cars slamming on brakes to avoid a head-on.

Thankfully it's not always like this or i'd seriously consider cycling.

Top Bottom