Hotel Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kevh26

i'm going to be doing my first coast to coast (west to east) in little over a month, and intend to do it over two days, i was thinking about finding somewhere to stay about seventy miles in, around halfway, but then looking, a lot of sites say penrith is a usual stopover point because the second half is supposedly easier and quicker, is that right, and does anyone have any recommendations as to where i should stay for the night (cheap and cheerful preferably)

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I stayed in Keswick and Nenthead when I did it...drop me a pm if you want to know B&B names.

If you're in Scotland I can wholeheartedly recommend the Loch Ness Inn just outside Drumdrochit and also the Lodge on Loch Lomond which will bankrupt you but in a heavenly fashion. A classy hotel who didn't remotely look down on a grubby, sweaty pregnant cyclist - just smiled, put the bikes in the shed and asked me if I wanted dinner reservations :biggrin:

ataction

If you are near Cahors I would recomend Aux Chardonnerets, Bagat-en-Quercy. Great accommodation in the middle of nowhere with a bike workshop!

wyno70

DO NOT stay at the The White Hart Hotel in Launceston. The place is an absolute crap hole. Something in the bed made me itch to the point that I couldn't sleep and the skirting boards were 'furry' with dust.

Not a nice place at all. AVOID.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ons Kot, just south of Hondschoote in France, on the France/Belgium border.

http://www.onskot.com/index_en.aspx

Really nice place, run by lovely people. The towns of Hondschoote and Liesele aren't far away (not walkable though), the proprietors do offer an evening meal though (which was lovely, especially the cake. And the pumpkin soup. And the main course...)

Bike storage is a wheelbender rack outside, although they did offer to let us bring the bikes in for the night too (we didn't, there's nothing but farms around for 3 miles or so, and it didn't look like rain).

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
A bit late for this years holiday in the sun but my recommendation for a great hotel in Samos, Greece is the Hotel Tsamadou.

http://www.tsamadou.com/index.htm

It's run by a very friendly English couple at extremely competitive rates. Breakfast, air-con, sun-beds are all included in the price and it is, literally, right on the beach. There's mountain-biking or if you ask me nicely you can borrow my roadie that I keep out there!
I've done 3 trips out there this year and each has been a superb stay!
.....and the menu is Asian and Oriental food!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anyway, after learning both which B&Bs to stay in when we do LEJoG next year, and also never to cross Kirstie, I'll add my offering-

Amsterdam

http://www.hotelvanonna.nl/

Very good value, clean and tidy, great central location on a canal street opposite Ann Frank Haus.

Mind you, the hostel at Zondelpark is also good.

Yes. The van Onna also has a secure room/garage to keep your bike in, well away from Amsterdam's villains.

Danny

Legendary Member
I thought I would revive this thread as I have just been tidying up the list of accommodation I kept from tours over the last few years. All of the places I have recommended explicitly welcome cyclists and are reasonably vegetarian friendly.

For clarity I have split my entries over several posts.

Danny

Legendary Member
Lochs & Glens North (NCN7) - Glasgow to Inverness

Killin - The Barn
Friendly "green" B&B. Accommodation is in a two story out-building, or converted barn. Lovely breakfast with big fresh fruit platter.

Owner prefers to let for two nights in the summer, but happy to go accept a single night booking when I explained we were on a cycle tour.

Pitlochry - Craigroyston House
Slightly up market B&B, but very cycle friendly. Large well furnished rooms would put many hotels to shame. Good place to pamper yourself for a night.

Newtonmore - Creag Meagaidh
Small B&B run by a lovely couple, Ali and Geoff. They are both keen fell runners, and very knowledgeable about the area. They also, or can book you into, a range of other outdoor activities. Highly recommended.

And one to avoid...

Drymen - Glenalva
Run by a seriously weird couple and entirely non-bike friendly. Also had one of the worst meals of my life at the local hotel, so I'd avoid Drymen altogether.

Danny

Legendary Member
Coast & Castles (NCN1) - Newcastle to Edinburgh

Bilton (nr. Alnmouth) - Bilton Barns
Friendly B&B a short cycle from Alnmouth. Good breakfast. As we travelling in a small group they put us into one of their holiday cottages for the night.

Berwick - Berwick Backpackers Hotel
This private hostel has had some "rave" reviews elsewhere, but we found it cramped and way below the standard of a YHA hostel. The owners seem to have tried to cram the maximum number of beds into the smallest possible space. It is OK for one night, or for anyone wanting to get the feel of what living in a tenement might be like.

The YHA is due to open a new hostel in Berwick in 2011, so I'd head for that as soon as it is available.

Melrose - Melrose Youth Hostel
Comfortable youth hostel in impressive old Georgian mansion. No evening meal available at the hostel but plenty of local restaurants (try the Italian by the old station). Buffet breakfast was poor value @ £4.50 - next time I'd buy in my own supplies from the local Co-op.

Danny

Legendary Member
Inverness & Sutherland

Inverness - Inverness Youth Hostel
Large and very busy youth hostel (at least during the summer holidays). The rooms are fine, the staff are friendly and helpful, but the communal facilities were not really large enough for the number of people staying there. However as it is close to the station it makes a good base for the start or end of tour.

Lairg - Highland House B&B
Small, comfortable B&B. Excellent breakfast with fresh free range eggs from the owners chickens and delicious home made bread. Owners are friendly enough but want a stress free life so may not respond well anything they perceive to be an unusual request.

Inshegra (nr. Kinlochbervie) - Old School Restaurant & Rooms
This converted school provides evening meals and B&B accommodation. Very friendly - we were welcomed with a much needed pot of tea and delicious cake! Good evening meal and breakfast. Owner keeps a wide range of beers, wines, and malts in stock. Would definitely recommend.

Tongue - Rhian Cottage B&B
Small but busy B&B about a mile outside of Tongue. Our room was in a converted out build and was a little sparse but perfectly acceptable. However I suspect it could have been difficult to keep warm during cold weather so I'd ask for a room in the main house unless you are staying in the summer. Owner very friendly and helpful, and transported our bikes 50 miles to the nearest train station after one of us had suffered a terminal mechanical breakdown.

We had a great evening meal out at the Tongue Hotel, and if you can afford it that would be a good alternative for accommodation.

StuartG

slower but further
The nicest budget chain in France (and elsewhere) is B&B Hotels. The cheapest is Formule1 and bike friendly (so far all have let me sleep with my bike). Rooms not big enough for tandems and you share loos and showers. Collect wine, cheese and a baguette from the local hypermarket and enjoy in the room or if the weather is good, on the tables outside. Bookable online with late free cancellations if you change plans. Don't rely on spare unbooked spaces. They usually book out on the day.

Top Bottom