Hotel Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Waldhotel Cottbus, in Cottbus, East Germany is great. The cycling in the Spreewald region is fantastic, the cycle routes are mostly flat but in some cases are hundreds of kilometres long.

The hotel is clean, comfortable and are cyclist friendly- they host some of the group tours so are used to having lots of cyclists in at once. Covered racks outside, cycle hire available for those who have not brought their own steed, and excellent food. And equally excellent beer.

Ah, memories of the summer of 2009... :bicycle:

xilios

Veteran
If your passing through Bosa, Sardinia I would like to recomend La Torre di Alice, its bike friendly, central, very clean and great hosts.
If your passing through Piraeus, Greece I would recomend Hotel Anemoni, again its bike friendly, central (with good public links to cental Athens), very clean and the staff is very helpfull. A good place to check out the area and even Athens while waiting to catch a boat for the islands.

bigjim

Legendary Member
€45-55 per night for room & breakfast.
Does anybody else on here think this is a lot of money for somewhere to sleep and a continental breakfast? I mean if you are travelling solo of course. I know it is also about the average in the UK but solo travel is becoming so expensive especially with the lack of youth hostels.

glb37

Yes, very much so. Unless the accomodation was in somewhere very very grand.

But most people on cycle tours would draw the line at something appreciably lower cost.

An example of this was - the last time I tour cycled - was a 4 day cycle up north in Scotland a little. So I was in Perthshire. Very nice valleys with hills around hinting at the Highlands a little further north. I was tired, it was about 5 pm and I still had 12 miles until a small village that I saw on my map. I didn't even know if there would be a B&B as it was such a small village. When I arrived I saw there was one pub (with B&B above it) and one bungalow nearby (with a B&B sign). I decided to ask at the bungalow their price. The person said £40 B&B. I was prepared to spend £30. So I said that all I can afford was that. The person thought for a few seconds then said £35 is the lowest. I still said that £30 is all that I can afford, and after a long thought the person allowed me to stay.
I think that a relatively remote standard house should be in the region of £20 - £25 B&B.

andym

Über Member
Does anybody else on here think this is a lot of money for somewhere to sleep and a continental breakfast? I mean if you are travelling solo of course. I know it is also about the average in the UK but solo travel is becoming so expensive especially with the lack of youth hostels.

It (ie 45-55 €) isn't particularly expensive - or put it another way you'll find some hotels charging less but also plenty charging more. Bear in mind that not so long ago before sterling crashed against the euro, that would have been 30 quid or so. Unfortunately now we're having to think in terms of 1 pound = 1 euro.

There are quite a lit of hostels across France, italy etc. OK maybe not eniugh but they are definitely around.

Sam Howard

Does anyone know or think there should be some central website where cyclists can locate accommodation close to cycle routes? At the moment I cannot find such a site but i'm sure the cycling world would love it if they could get such recommendations as interesting one above from Kirstie and Nichols Nymet House, but also just somewhere that shows real real choice from cheaper to more expensive options etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Falwheeler

Anyone requiring accommodation near Roscoff should try Hôtel du Cheval Blanc Saint Pol de Léon http://www.hotelchevalblanc.com
Our club use it a lot, run by a lovely couple. Secure stabling for twenty or more bikes and just 5km from the ferry port

Nick M

UK TRAVEL LODGES !!!! (Book ahead if you can for a better price) I have just stayed in Widnes (£15), Colwyn Bay (£25) & Anglesey (£23.50). Widnes & Anglesey had baths, Colwyn Bay a shower. All near eating places, all have kettles with more tea/coffe/milk free on request (+ make your flasks up from powered drinks you bought with you), all have great heaters to dry clothes, & all allow bikes in the room !!

Brains

Legendary Member
Does anyone know or think there should be some central website where cyclists can locate accommodation close to cycle routes? At the moment I cannot find such a site but i'm sure the cycling world would love it if they could get such recommendations as interesting one above from Kirstie and Nichols Nymet House, but also just somewhere that shows real real choice from cheaper to more expensive options etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The for the CTC have been running this type of sevice since the turn of the last century.
Now-a-days it's on their website
http://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/cyclists_welcome/

For Germany the ADFC have the same thing (but far more sophisticated)
http://www.adfc-tourenportal.de/viewtrackobject.php?trackObjectID=9355
This covers Germany in detail and most of ther surrounding countries to some extent (with the UK being a notable exception)

Ivan Ardon

If you're touring in the Trier - Bernkastel-Kues area, I can wholeheartedly recommend:

http://www.river-valley-guest-house.co.uk

I stayed there last year, in fact, I stayed for two nights rather than the one I'd planned, as it was such a good find. Cheap too, at around £15 per night inc breakfast. It's run by a British couple who couldn't be more helpful if they tried. There's plenty of secure indoor parking for bikes or recumbents, and it's right in the pretty part of the Mosel. It's at river level, so no huge climbs up the hills at the end of the day just to get to bed.

I've no personal or commercial interest, just a satisfied customer (who's booked to go back again this year).

Steve

Brains

Legendary Member
Two hotels that stand out from a two week ride up the River Elbe in Germany

Magdeburg - Hotel Joop
Staff speak English, will store Bags, bikes and cars whilst you go off and cycle or visit Berlin
100m to Elbe cycle path
One days drive from the Hook of Holland overnight ferry to Harwich
2 hours by train to Berlin
Not cheap but very good, and an excellent first and last night hotel. (B&B)
http://www.residenzjoop.com/

Bad Schandau - Zum Baren
It's a local pub, does B&B and evening meals,
Enough English spoken to get by.
The photo of the breakfast spread has pride of place in our photo album
Bike storage
100m from the Elbe cycle path
3 hours by paddle steamer to Dresden (or about an hour by train)
5 miles from the Czech border.
Fairly cheap, and a LOT cheaper than most of the accommodation in Bad Schandau
http://www.hotel-gasthof-zum-baeren.de/

Top Bottom