Hotlinking to Google photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

As posted in that thread, hotlinking to Google photos (which is the default photo-sharing site for anyone running Android) is flaky. It looks as if it ought to be possible, and sometimes looks as if it's worked, but it's not reliable. Is there an addon to the forum software that enables it? It's also the only site from which I've had problems doing a copy-and-paste on a photo.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Right click the picture, select "save image as" and then upload from your computer.

Android: long press the photo and choose "open in new tab". Go to the tab. Long press the address in the address bar and choose 'copy'. Back in cycle chat, composing your post, click the little picture icon, next to the smiley icon, long press the edit box and choose paste.
simples.jpg

Android: long press the photo and choose "open in new tab". Go to the tab. Long press the address in the address bar and choose 'copy'. Back in cycle chat, composing your post, click the little picture icon, next to the smiley icon, long press the edit box and choose paste.
simples.jpg
That's if it's a web image. From the Google photos app, a bit different... If that's what you meant then I don't think you can embed the image but you can give a link.

Download and upload, like @steve50 said unless the image is on the device already (cos you took it with the camera) then just upload.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes - I've done the download and upload thing. But that's a complex workaround for what should be a simple one-step problem. I usually want to do the same as @redfalo did - take some photos on a phone and then later compose a carefully crafted post on a sensible computer with those photos embedded in the text. If I've taken a photo with a phone and Android has magicked it up into the cloud, so that it has its own URL, it should be a piece of cake to copy that URL and embed it in the post. But for some reason Page and Brin have decided to make it, as far as I can tell, impossible.

Yes - I've done the download and upload thing. But that's a complex workaround for what should be a simple one-step problem. I usually want to do the same as @redfalo did - take some photos on a phone and then later compose a carefully crafted post on a sensible computer with those photos embedded in the text. If I've taken a photo with a phone and Android has magicked it up into the cloud, so that it has its own URL, it should be a piece of cake to copy that URL and embed it in the post. But for some reason Page and Brin have decided to make it, as far as I can tell, impossible.
One could speculate that they might be trying to build a social network and push people towards Google+ but that's just idle speculation

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
They seem to be trying to make you link rather than hotlink. I share the pic to G+ (family or circles, whatever), then right-click/copy image location the pic in your profile (it seems not to work if you click on it first and highlight/enlarge it). Thus:-

DSC_1296.jpg

toffee

Guru
I assume that you have added the photos in a shared album.

Derek

If you put them in an album and share the album, that should work. it's to do with how the permissions are set I think. Putting them in a shared album seems to work though.

Top Bottom