1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by fimm, 30 Oct 2014.

1. fimm

fimm Veteran

2. fimm

fimm Veteran

There have been two successful attempts on the women's Hour Record recently.
    First, in January in Adelaide, Bridie O'Donnell took the distance up to 46.882km.
    And then last weekend in Colorado Springs, Evelyn Stevens (Boels Dolmans) rode 47.98km.

Scoosh and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. Rasmus

Rasmus Without a clever title

It was a well paced ride by Evie Stevens, although the style did start to fall apart at the end. Feels like there should be room for improvement on this already very impressive record.

Anyone know if there are more attempts scheduled/expected?

CcP1AFEWoAAuwQZ.jpg

4. fimm

fimm Veteran

I have no idea, I'm afraid. I just post things as I spot them. It seems to be my little contribution to CycleChat! ;)

Dogtrousers and Rasmus like this.
  5. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Yes, she peaked a few laps too early and didn't get it back until the last 4 laps. She kept the chap whose job it was to put the track sponges back pretty busy towards the end too.

Incidentally, I was watching on the youtube live stream and the US commentator kept referring to Longo's record. She'd have needed to do 48.161km to do that. I assume that's the all time record before the UCI rules came in but I couldn't find any wiki reference to it: Longo did hold the official record in 2000 but the average for that was 45kmph so that's obviously not the one. It would be good for a modern day athlete to strip this record from her though because of her drugs use and dodgy doping husband. It's only 0.2kmph away. Tantalising.

6. fimm

fimm Veteran

From the link I posted earlier:
    "There were even times at the 7-Eleven Velodrome in Colorado Springs where it looked like Stevens may threaten the all-time distance record of 48.159 kilometres set by French cyclist Jeannie Longo in 1996 using the now banned ‘Superman’ position..."

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  7. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I think this one will go much further. I'd like to see Vos have a go some time, when she's back.

8. ItsSteveLovell

ItsSteveLovell Veteran

It was interesting to see/build up to an attempt where it was announced without much of a lead-up. Having another professional woman have a crack would be good, and shed light on the attempts by Bridie O'donnell/ Molly Van Howling as to what standard they were riding at...

9. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

10. fimm

fimm Veteran

Dogtrousers likes this.
  11. DP

DP Chasse patate

12. mythste

mythste Über Member

DP likes this.
  13. DP

DP Chasse patate