Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
Re: para cycling, do the second 'able' riders have to be screened? Or could someone like Jason Kenny or Kristina Vogel be the able rider to accompany the para one?

oldroadman

Veteran
Re: para cycling, do the second 'able' riders have to be screened? Or could someone like Jason Kenny or Kristina Vogel be the able rider to accompany the para one?
Tandem with able bodied rider only applies to blind/partially sighted classification, I think. There is a whole set of UCI regulations about who can be the AB partner. Which are on their site, somewhere, but I can't offer a link (haven't looked beyond headers). Best left to the wise ones - UCI commissaires - to interpret. I'm sure they will be well prepared. Who knows, perhaps a poster will actually read the rules and help us all?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Who knows, perhaps a poster will actually read the rules and help us all?

I detect a certain amount of cynicism there.

16.3.001 - 007 seem to govern para cycling pilot eligibility. IPC is supreme authority for para cycling. Same rules apply to tandem pilots as for para cyclists except for qualifying disability. Tandem pilots must not be members of a UCI registered team, and there's a waiting period of 12 to 24 months before former UCI registered team members can become pilots. Riders previously selected by their national federation for World Championships, Olympics, World Cups, continental championships e.g. Commonwealth Games, etc. also have to sit out a waiting period before they can ride pilot - so no Kristina Vogel or Jason Kenny, at least for 12 - 24 months. One pilot per competition, unless the pilot is ill, in which case they can be changed up to 24 hours in advance of the competition. Closer than 24 hours, tough.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
An another attempt this Saturday:
http://road.cc/content/news/167486-colin-lynch-goes-para-cycling-hour-record-manchester-weekend
- this time by a man with one leg*.

I hadn't realised that there are para-cycling hour records - but of course, why not? I wonder how far a tandem could go?

*pedantically, a man with one and a half legs - he is a below-the-knee amputee

Best of luck to him. Hope he gets plenty of coverage for it, as well - the more that puts para cycling up there, the better. He himself comments that many para cyclists aren't aware of these records.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Well a small amount of googling has failed to tell me if Colin Lynch was successful in his attempt - anyone know?

Citius

Well a small amount of googling has failed to tell me if Colin Lynch was successful in his attempt - anyone know?

He wasn't, unfortunately. Front tyre blew during the attempt and he hit the deck. He's planning another go at some point...

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
And another one (I seem have become Hour Record Person ;) )
http://road.cc/content/news/170111-shropshire-cyclist-81-sets-age-group-uci-hour-record
35.772 km - for men aged 80 - 84. Something to keep for Sir Bradley motivated for the next 50 years...:rofl:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
It was a well paced ride by Evie Stevens, although the style did start to fall apart at the end. Feels like there should be room for improvement on this already very impressive record.

Anyone know if there are more attempts scheduled/expected?

CcP1AFEWoAAuwQZ.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It was a well paced ride by Evie Stevens, although the style did start to fall apart at the end. Feels like there should be room for improvement on this already very impressive record.

Anyone know if there are more attempts scheduled/expected?

CcP1AFEWoAAuwQZ.jpg
Yes, she peaked a few laps too early and didn't get it back until the last 4 laps. She kept the chap whose job it was to put the track sponges back pretty busy towards the end too.

Incidentally, I was watching on the youtube live stream and the US commentator kept referring to Longo's record. She'd have needed to do 48.161km to do that. I assume that's the all time record before the UCI rules came in but I couldn't find any wiki reference to it: Longo did hold the official record in 2000 but the average for that was 45kmph so that's obviously not the one. It would be good for a modern day athlete to strip this record from her though because of her drugs use and dodgy doping husband. It's only 0.2kmph away. Tantalising.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
From the link I posted earlier:
"There were even times at the 7-Eleven Velodrome in Colorado Springs where it looked like Stevens may threaten the all-time distance record of 48.159 kilometres set by French cyclist Jeannie Longo in 1996 using the now banned ‘Superman’ position..."

Top Bottom