Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Castroviejo?
I can't see any track history. Not a disqualifier per se but a factor, I'd guess.

Chris Norton

Dowsett will have another go. Hope for colder and low pressure and I think he'll run pretty damn close. He certainly seemed to have plenty left when he got the record.

Tony Martin would have to learn to track ride and Cancellara has to properly come back unless he makes it a winters pop thing but I don't think he has that distance over the hour.

The number of rider's who can give it a proper go has diminished significantly today. But I do think it was not as out there as wiggins wanted to put it.

oldroadman

Veteran
None of the other contenders have managed to convert from pursuiter, to roadman, to hour record holder. Along the way collecting a junior world championship, world titles, Olympic golds, some highly creditable classics rides, and a grand tour win. Others may be specifically as good at single disciplines, but I think that this tops any other British rider's achievements at world level. A complete rider. Sits alongside the greats.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
None of the other contenders have managed to convert from pursuiter, to roadman, to hour record holder. Along the way collecting a junior world championship, world titles, Olympic golds, some highly creditable classics rides, and a grand tour win. Others may be specifically as good at single disciplines, but I think that this tops any other British rider's achievements at world level. A complete rider. Sits alongside the greats.
Yes, immense. But who's going to challenge next?

I think that even before today Brad would be up there - nobody in the "modern era" has achieved anything near what he has.

To draw on the "he scores when he wants" football chant, I reckon Brad "does what he wants, and wins what he wants"

Hont

Guru
Brad looked messy by comparison.
He rode the pursuiter's line apparently, which negates the need for a steering adjustment after each bend. But I agree, even in the corners he was not as neat as Dowsett, but then Dowsett was clearly not at his limit, which does tend to affect things. :bicycle:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran

oldroadman

Veteran
That is so sad, and Mr Collin's comments sound a lot like grapes that are not sweet. The UCI had one of their most experienced commissairesin charge (indeed quite a few others, all highly qualified and experienced) and any deviation from the rules would have been spotted and the bike refused. Which it wasn't. BC involvement, well you might expect that when the coaching team are hoping to have BW ready for 2016! Alex Dowsett was gracious and added his congratulations, as we might expect from a genuine sportsman. Maybe he should review his coaching arrangements if all the coach can do is make unfortunate comments - after all he is clearly better qualified than the UCI commissaires to decide what is legal or not... I, like others, look forward to seeing Alex Dowsett maybe have another go at the record when he is ready. It will be quite a show. As for the line, comment above is correct, Manchester and London are different designs, one with longer straights and tighter bends, the other the reverse. This changes the dynamic of holding a line. But you can't argue with 54+km. If that's messy I would have settled for messy combined with the speed and ability!

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I will post some of my pics tomorrow, watching his pace and the fluidity of his cadence was awe inspiring. Sadly I missed out on a free cap, but bought some posters that I had to post home rather than carry about today

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I was sweating sitting still o I think he makes a good point. Not sure what it wild have felt like to brad in making his own windchill as he tore around it

swansonj

Guru
I thought the temperature was actually controlled, and the high temperature was a choice? Wasn't better ability to control the climate one of the reasons London was considered a better venue than Manchester? Which raises the question, is there anything in the rules to prevent installing a load of fans and controlling the pressure as well?

Top Bottom