1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hour Record (may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by fimm, 30 Oct 2014.

1. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I was just thinking of Tony Martin so I googled him to see if he had any track cycling history. I drew a blank. That's not to say he's never been on a track, just that it's never been a big part of his life.

There will be a load of nations unhappy about the record turning into a very British affair though. All good fun....

2. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Boardman on the Dauphine show, reckoned the pace judgement required might be difficult for martin to do with no track history.

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  3. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Pacing is one thing Dowsett has already shown he's very good at. He did what he needed to do to break the record but clearly had more to give. Beating Brad might be beyond him but it might not. I reckon he could get very close at least.

Taylor Phinney is another possible contender. Or would have been, pre-injury - remains to be seen if he still could be.

4. Rasmus

Rasmus Without a clever title

CG62hL0WwAAasxV.png

Incredible consistency.

5. deptfordmarmoset

Dowsett's go at it was also very tidy - he black lined it all the way. If he put as much time aside as Wiggins was able to, and given how he was nowhere near as drained at the end, I reckon he might be having a long hard think right now.

Any Spaniards on the radar?

6. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Yes, good point. Brad looked messy by comparison.

Castroviejo?

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

It was a cracking time.

Still thinking with technological progress that Chris and Graham's times should stand.

cyberknight and Mugshot like this.
  8. deptfordmarmoset

I can't see any track history. Not a disqualifier per se but a factor, I'd guess.

9. Chris Norton

Chris Norton Well-Known Member

Dowsett will have another go. Hope for colder and low pressure and I think he'll run pretty damn close. He certainly seemed to have plenty left when he got the record.

Tony Martin would have to learn to track ride and Cancellara has to properly come back unless he makes it a winters pop thing but I don't think he has that distance over the hour.

The number of rider's who can give it a proper go has diminished significantly today. But I do think it was not as out there as wiggins wanted to put it.

10. oldroadman

oldroadman Veteran

None of the other contenders have managed to convert from pursuiter, to roadman, to hour record holder. Along the way collecting a junior world championship, world titles, Olympic golds, some highly creditable classics rides, and a grand tour win. Others may be specifically as good at single disciplines, but I think that this tops any other British rider's achievements at world level. A complete rider. Sits alongside the greats.

fimm, Booyaa, Toshiba Boy and 7 others like this.
  11. deptfordmarmoset

Yes, immense. But who's going to challenge next?

12. Marmion

Marmion Guru

I think that even before today Brad would be up there - nobody in the "modern era" has achieved anything near what he has.

To draw on the "he scores when he wants" football chant, I reckon Brad "does what he wants, and wins what he wants"

threebikesmcginty likes this.
  13. Hont

Hont Veteran

He rode the pursuiter's line apparently, which negates the need for a steering adjustment after each bend. But I agree, even in the corners he was not as neat as Dowsett, but then Dowsett was clearly not at his limit, which does tend to affect things. :bicycle:

14. Paul_L

Paul_L Über Member

Isn't that because Manchester is more oval than Lea Valley?

400bhp and themosquitoking like this.
  15. Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike Über Member