was it a success

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

• I dunno

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought it was a fab day, had great fun, if you search "london freewheel" on flickr just check out the smiles of almost everyone in the pics.

I got there early and put in two blazing laps, it was a really fun course to really hammer. Then I sloped off and had coffee and some food with a friend and went back to cruise around with the masses - great fun, and a bizarrely good complement to my earlier blitzing.

Saw some truly remarkable machines too!

If there is another one, I'll sign up without hesitaiton. Bloody good day out.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
er, it's blue.......

only wrongsters are brown

CotterPin

I led a ride of about fifty plus (including children) from Highbury to the central event. We took a direct route down avoiding the signed routes as we were so big a crowd. We had a relatively easy ride but there were a couple of idiot motorists who tried to push through including the inevitable cabbie.

The closed roads at the centre were great. It was an amazing sight just to see cyclists riding along in both directions. And it was fun to meander on some of the roads I ride to work (London Bridge).

Leaving the event was interesting. Joined the Strand ("Warning Live Traffic" the signs said) and immediately saw children and parents trying to mix it with the traffic swirling around Aldwych.

Later, as I headed along the signed route back to Finsbury Park to see where the organisers were directing the riders, I nearly got totalled by a woman in a people carrier (she was the only person in it) who seemed to think she had more rights to the road than me and the three or four cyclists ahead of me.

The routing did seem a bit circuitous and took you along a few dodgy roads.

So twenty out of ten for an extraordinary day - who would have thought it just a few years ago?

2 out of 10 for the official route from the event. Need to get that worked out for next year

And minus 1,000,000 out of 10 to the usual numpty motorists

NickM

Veteran
CotterPin said:
...2 out of 10 for the official route from the event. Need to get that worked out for next year...
I think you're being a little harsh - they did have to work with the available roads, and those miserable bastards, the British motoring public, are an inevitability on them :biggrin:

The route from the Peckham hub to Southwark Bridge, which we joined at Old Kent Road, seemed about as good as it could be, and was well marshalled at any difficult junctions.

TimO

Guru
The route from Clapham Common to the centre was also a little bizarre in places. It seemed to avoid Cedars Road and Queenstown road almost entirely, and sent us down some narrowish roads, which would have been alright, but there were a couple of quad cycles (carrying advertising for one of those car hire by the hour companies) and a couple with two kids in a trailer. Down Queenstown Road they would have had plenty of room in the bus lane, but along the signed route it was a bit tight and caused cars to back up, and ultimately get in the way of the other cyclists.

Strangely the return route was straight along Queenstown Road (as far as I could tell), so presumably it wasn't an issue with the traffic levels that sent traffic off that way.

leyton condor

Veteran
An Excellent day out.
Marshals were helpful and friendly on the way there and on the way back.
Free sandwiches, apples and water.
Even the weather was perfect.
Our six year old loved it, especially all the strange bike stand and all the freebies.

What do all those people use their bikes for the rest of the time?

dazzawazza

Great day! Just shows how peaceful a city can be without the constant drone, pollution, congestion and danger caused by motor vehicles.
Some vehicles are necessary, but many are not.

cycle-punk

My flat mates and I started off with the Ealing CC and worked our way to Ravenscourt and then to the festival proper. Had a good laugh and met some cool people. We also thought it rather entertaining to wear matching kilts/skirts from £1 Kingdom, which landed us a few photos. Thought the route was good (tunnel was the best!) but would've loved to have done a few fast laps. I know that wasn't the point of the festival, and it was good to see most everyone enjoying themselves!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

hey, Mikey, i saw you! i might even be the orange blur near the start of the film, heading the other way.

you were behind the child on the bike, with an empty road in front of you both and i was in the flow opposite... i did want to shout out to you, but i figured shouting "hey bent mikey" might not be wise.

L

TimO said:
The route from Clapham Common to the centre was also a little bizarre in places. It seemed to avoid Cedars Road and Queenstown road almost entirely, and sent us down some narrowish roads, which would have been alright, but there were a couple of quad cycles (carrying advertising for one of those car hire by the hour companies) and a couple with two kids in a trailer. Down Queenstown Road they would have had plenty of room in the bus lane, but along the signed route it was a bit tight and caused cars to back up, and ultimately get in the way of the other cyclists.

Strangely the return route was straight along Queenstown Road (as far as I could tell), so presumably it wasn't an issue with the traffic levels that sent traffic off that way.

this does strike a bell. The Cheam and Morden passed the Clapham hub. We ambled (Mrs L2 was in the group, so when I say amble I mean amble) straight up to London Bridge via Stockwell and the Elephant. Now the thing is this. The A24/A3 from Clapham to the Elephant and beyond is, bar the Embankment, the most popular route with commuting cyclists that I know. Ten years ago I'd have ridden on my own, but, post bus lanes, post congestion charge, post Yorkshire bombers it's cycle heaven.

My feeling is that cycling organisations (of which I'm a member and a representative) are in danger of being left behind by events. Contriving ever more complicated routes when you have Sloanes going down the Embankment and men in suits cycling up the A3 might just be beside the point.

And - your starter for ten. Which building on Cedars Road has a beach on the roof?

snorri

Legendary Member
I was there!
I enjoyed my visit, it was good to feel a part of the event even if my bike was hundreds of miles away! It was interesting to chat with people on the various stands, be entertained by the stunt cyclists, and watch people trying out all sorts of pedal power. Also, a pleasant change to see cyclists in London relaxed and smiling and not pedalling as if trying to beat some world speed record:biggrin:
Most of all I thought.......what a lot of people.xx(

TimO

Guru
simon l& and a half said:
... The A24/A3 from Clapham to the Elephant and beyond is, bar the Embankment, the most popular route with commuting cyclists that I know.
Yes, I cycled along that way for a couple of weeks when I was doing Jury Service at the Inner London Crown Court (on Newington Causeway). It was very busy, much more so than Queenstown Road gets, and that can be pretty hectic cycle-wise at peak times.

simon l& and a half said:
And - your starter for ten. Which building on Cedars Road has a beach on the roof?
Nope, you've got me there. Even looking at MS Live Search, I can't see anything suggestive of a beech, so I assume you are being less literal. xx(

Top Bottom