How am i doing so far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
So i've been on my new bike a week so far and according to my odo i've clocked 60.995 miles.
My commute route is 5 miles, i've been doing it in 23 mins with an average speed of around 13mph.

however last two days i decided to up the anti, so yesterday i took a loop to work rather then the more direct route and clocked 8.3 miles in, took me 37 mins.
today i went a little further and did 9.2 miles in 39 mins with an average of 13.8mph (want to hit that 14mph mark.)
i'm on a hybrid, and its the first time and i'm really enjoying it. (before was always a clunky old BSO)
do these times sound ok? i don't feel like i'm pushing myself too much mind, when i get in i can certainly feel it in my legs etc but i don't get any really lasting aches or anything and nothing appears strained.
tomorrow i'm considering looping out a touch further and go for that magic 10. i must admit when my ride comes to an end i'm not thinking 'thank the gods thats over' i'm more thinking 'damn i've run out of miles...'
tell you what tho, i'm sleeping like a log at night :biggrin:
pete

corshamjim

It sounds to me like you're doing great. Personally I'm happy to potter in to work (4 miles) at about 12 mph or less.

How far and fast you want to push yourself is really up to you. My preference it to go for long distances (on occasional weekend rides) at a very easy pace. I have found that pushing hard up a few hills once in a while helps keep up my fitness and stamina though - making 'easy' even easier (if that makes any sense).

SOunds OK to me..I'm currently trying to hit the 15mph average over a weeks worth of commuting (in the region of 100 miles) on a hybrid. 2 days on and the average is 15.6mph. Obviously longer distances help. The further you go the less likely the average is going to be skewed by short stop/start sections, slow moving traffic etc...

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sound ok to me, although i've never bothered to work out my average speed. What's most important is that you enjoy it and leave yourself enough energy to last to the end of the week.

Top Bottom