How are you finding the new market?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was shooting the breeze with the owner of my local bike shop the other day.

Not much else for him to do, given his showroom has very few bikes in it.

On the plus side, he has got rid of the handful of bikes which were hanging around - purchasing errors as he described them.

I'm told Scott is quoting next June for a lot of models.

Brompton shut the custom order book when the delay reached six months.

The shop benefited from good long term relationships with a couple of wholesalers, meaning more customer orders have been fulfilled than they might have been.

Selecting a precise model from a maker's website and actually buying the bike have always been two different things.

Seems to me new bike supply is going to remain very patchy well into next year.

What has been your experience?

VeganWheels

I did the same yesterday & In my case ,
Purchased new bike in May from my LBS,had multiple issues that resulted in approximately 6 or 7 return issues, a couple of which where never sorted.
Giant offered to replace it with the same model,as just said I had a Friday afternoon bikes ,unluckily for me,.
Was initially quoted August,then September, then week 50 just two weeks ago,at which point they offered an significant upgrade that they had in stock as alternative.
Dropped my bike off yesterday at my local LBS & it's very obviously very little stock & asked how trade was,the response was surprisingly good given the lack on new bike stock,repairs & upgrades were busy.
One thing that was said is a lot of delays can be put down to a very well know brand of gearing supplier who is struggling with the demand more so than anyone else.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
My LBS owner was sat amongst empty bike racks yesterday when I popped in for a replacement saddle. He’s very pleased to have shifted so many in only his second year in business, but he’s also apprehensive about re-supply with some very protracted deliveries being quoted to him by the manufacturers .. he has got winter to re-stock though since no-one rides in the winter here. Great for cycling generally that it’s becoming so popular :becool:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One thing that was said is a lot of delays can be put down to a very well know brand of gearing supplier who is struggling with the demand more so than anyone else.

It's not the first time supply shortages at Shimano has caused major disruption to bike production.

pawl

Legendary Member
I just walk down Market Street turn left and it’s on your right.Oh dear another question I have misunderstood.Story of my life:hello::wacko:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's not the first time supply shortages at Shimano has caused major disruption to bike production.
To be fair you can't really blame them on this occasion, can you? Seems most places have been out of Shimano parts / groupsets for months - I guess it's all going to OEMs for new builds.

I wonder if we'll see even more interest with the 2nd wave; although I suspect the weather will do well to put a lot of would-be converts off the idea over the winter.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Went to LBS today to look at new bike options for Mrs Oldhippy and by pure luck they have one that may do the job for her requirements still boxed and she is going to go and see it built on Monday. LBS said many models sold out out pre order for 21 stock. As someone said earlier second hand market may be awash next year.

united4ever

Über Member
I would have thought the supply chains would have upped production nearly 6 months since increase in demand. Why does it take so long to produce more bikes/parts and get them in the shops? Genuine question. Is it that their processes/capacity in factories are hindered by Covid still?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been looking for a women's hybrid for our daughter for months. All the online suppliers seem to be out of stock. Quite a few routine bits and bobs (tyres, lights, chains) are hard to find too.
Odd business.

Top Bottom