How attitudes to drink driving changed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

"Under the influence" means there was a trace in his blood from a joint smoked up to a month before, I'd suggest that the vehicle being flipped over suggests speed was more of a factor there, the sort of speeding that Linford defends as he wordlessly ruts away on poor old Sophie.

A MOTORCYCLIST who was killed instantly when he hit a car had been smoking cannabis, a court heard.
Mark Nicholson, 40, had enough cannabis in his bloodstream to impair his reactions and judgement, according to evidence heard during the inquest into his death.
Mr Nicholson, who lived in Sandmoor Close, east Hull, was killed when he lost control of his Ducati motorbike and smashed head-on into a Ford Puma on the B12399, near Bilton, on Saturday, July 30.
Pathologist Dr Shahran Sanni told Hull Coroner's Court blood tests found Mr Nicholson had enough cannabis in his bloodstream to have had a "detrimental effect on his cognitive ability".

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tory-14164489-detail/story.html#axzz2KE0lHGkt

Linford

Also, that was America, where they are nuts about drugs.

A clue is in the link I povided....it was from the Hull local rag (that was in the north of England last time I looked)

Is the Ganja magically twice as powerful in the states as it is here ?

One time I woke up with an air stewardess, had a line of charlie and a screw driver, got a cab to the airport and took off and the plane suffered a critical infrastructure failure, so I flipped the plane, clipped a church steeple and only three people died and they were minor characters anyway so, no, wait, hang on, that was a denzel washington film.

Linford

Oh dear - you're spinning as badly as Linford.

You two are so well suited to each other - we hope you'll be very happy together.

Show me where I have agreed with anything he has said on this issue Reg. You really are a plum sometimes :rolleyes:

Bodhbh

Guru
Does anyone remember a piece of early reality tv from about 15years ago? - they invited groups of 4 different nationalities - Brits, Germans, Americans, and Japanese - on a free holiday in Marmaris, Turkey, on the condition they would be filmed as part of a TV documentary. What they didn't know, is that there would be various staged situations sprung on them to test how the different nationalities would respond, and that there was at least one undercover stooge acting on orders from the TV makers and precipitation various situations.

I can't remember the name of the show, and a quick google doesn't bring up much but the following:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-110760800.html

Anyhow, back to the point. They recorded how much booze was consumed on the holiday by each of the nationalities, and the Brits were ahead on that front by a long shot - so not shy about drinking. However, they staged an incident where the driver of a tour coach that was obviously hammered, and film the reaction of the passangers. The Brits were by far and away the most shocked and refused to get on the coach, other nationalities noticed, but rather than outraged were bemused and the Germans were almost sympathetic (he must have problems at home etc).

At least in those days reality tv shows had to go through the motions of having a serious point, like being some kind of social study, but despite it being rather tenious the program was actually quite interesting (situations staged on how much it would take for the various nationalities to complain, their reactions to stealing and dishonesty, vandalism, etc).

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I was stopped for speeding in my Vauxhall Viva in 1982. I was on my way home ......from the Norwich beer festival! The policeman that stopped me (he was a policeman back then .....not a police officer) commented on my excessive speed saying he was amazed that I could get a Viva to go so fast. I can't remember how many pints of beer I had drunk....but it was at least 4. He did give me a speeding ticket - but no mention was made of my beery breath. I don't condone drink driving but back then it really wasn't considered a problem and was extremely common place. I still think I would have avoided the speeding ticket if I had been sober!

Top Bottom