How bad is fixed down hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I've got no experience of fixed or singlespeed, but can't you just take your feet off the pedals while you coast down the hill? :thumbsup:

When I converted my MTB to fixed gear because I was really nervous about riding a fixed wheel off-road I desided to fit flat pedals so that I could get my feet off the pedals / down as easily as possible.

The flat pedals proved to be a big mistake. On the first steep bank/ramp I came to the MTB rapidly gained speed. My feet came straight off the pedals and I was hit hard in the back of each leg.

You can deliberately upclip and wave your feet around in the air while going downhill. However, trying to clip in / unclip while while the pedals are spinning quickly is near impossible and highly likely to result in an accident. Also unless your feet are on the pedals you cannot get your weight back while braking. So if you did need to stop quickly while your feet are in mid-air then you're at risk of going flying over the bars.

Might it be worth considering a Sturmey Archer S3X hub so you can ride fixed and still change up for the downhills?

Other advice on this thread is very sound: Lower gear, but not too low; two brakes etc.

Top Bottom