How best to clip in the shoe at up slope.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tks all for reply.

A question particularly to this.

How to lift up the back wheel with one hand braking, the other hand lifting the back wheel and leaving with no hands to change gear. Did I misread you?

I think that was a suggestion I made about changing gear while stopped.

If you are gripping the front brake with one hand, you can rock the bike forward and the rear will rise.

It only needs to lift by a squillymetre to turn the wheel and facilitate a gear change.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have a section of road on my commute which has a set of traffic lights on a steep hill. When going up the hill, if I have to stop at the lights I have a real problem getting clipped back in. I have to push myself very hard to get a good speed and then clip in. I normally move right over to the left through the junction to let cars pass anyway.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
I have a section of road on my commute which has a set of traffic lights on a steep hill. When going up the hill, if I have to stop at the lights I have a real problem getting clipped back in. I have to push myself very hard to get a good speed and then clip in. I normally move right over to the left through the junction to let cars pass anyway.

In this case, wearing platform shoe will be a better choice?

Steve H

Large Member
Tks all for reply.

A question particularly to this.

How to lift up the back wheel with one hand braking, the other hand lifting the back wheel and leaving with no hands to change gear. Did I misread you?
Sorry for delay in response - been away a few days.

I have both hands on handlebars. Apply the front brake, then gently push the bike forward. The front wheel will stay still and the bike will tip forward lifting the rear wheel off the ground. You should be able to change the gears while still braking. If not - flick the gear one change at a time, then apply brake, tip and turn pedals. Repeat until you have the gear you want.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Sorry for delay in response - been away a few days.

I have both hands on handlebars. Apply the front brake, then gently push the bike forward. The front wheel will stay still and the bike will tip forward lifting the rear wheel off the ground. You should be able to change the gears while still braking. If not - flick the gear one change at a time, then apply brake, tip and turn pedals. Repeat until you have the gear you want.

Tks, I know what u mean

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is something that I have lots of experience of ... :thumbsup:

mytholm-steeps.jpg

Firstly, I'd like to point out that some shoe/pedal combinations are dangerous if you are not clipped in! My Sidi shoes have slippery hard plastic soles which do not sit well on top of my Look pedals. It's clip in, or walk.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that trying to walk up steep hills like the stretch of 25% illustrated above is also pretty dangerous in slippery shoes. I had to do an emergency dismount on that climb when my back wheel slid from under me on a rainy day, and then my shoes slipped, almost causing me to fall.

My two techniques for steep hill starts are:
  1. If the road us wide enough, ride across it to clip in and then turn up the hill. If the road is too narrow for that, try to find a side road, driveway or farm track to emerge from.
  2. Hang on to a wall, hedge, lamppost, tree or anything else handy that will hold you upright, and clip in before you set off.
NB A fall, stall or major wobble is always possible on hill starts so wait until the road is clear before setting off!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Learn to trackstand.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
This is something that I have lots of experience of ... :thumbsup:

mytholm-steeps.jpg

Firstly, I'd like to point out that some shoe/pedal combinations are dangerous if you are not clipped in! My Sidi shoes have slippery hard plastic soles which do not sit well on top of my Look pedals. It's clip in, or walk.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that trying to walk up steep hills like the stretch of 25% illustrated above is also pretty dangerous in slippery shoes. I had to do an emergency dismount on that climb when my back wheel slid from under me on a rainy day, and then my shoes slipped, almost causing me to fall.

My two techniques for steep hill starts are:
  1. If the road us wide enough, ride across it to clip in and then turn up the hill. If the road is too narrow for that, try to find a side road, driveway or farm track to emerge from.
  2. Hang on to a wall, hedge, lamppost, tree or anything else handy that will hold you upright, and clip in before you set off.
NB A fall, stall or major wobble is always possible on hill starts so wait until the road is clear before setting off!

Tks. Good tips you hv there.

Top Bottom