How Borked is this Frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MahatmaAndhi

I bought this frame from eBay. It's a Hoy Shizuoka 001 and it's aluminium. The guy said the mech hanger is broken and the frame's scratched, but is otherwise fine. However, when I got it home I noticed that the frame around the hanger is bent.
From one angle, it looks awful, but then from another not so bad. But with it being aluminium, is it one for the scrapheap?
(It was several weeks ago and it's too far for me to take it back anyway.)

Bigger pictures of the same thing linked below.

qOW2yJul.jpg

Big: https://i.imgur.com/qOW2yJu.jpg

OQMWV2Vl.jpg

Big: https://i.imgur.com/OQMWV2V.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looks like it has taken quite a bash. You could try to straighten the bent bit, but as it is ally it might stretch or possibly snap.

Just bend it back but don't go back and forth. Do it accurately and once, using a quality tool like Shimano's derailer hanger adjustment tool.

It requires some skill and knowledge of aluminium. Aluminium work-hardens when bent. This means that if you bend it once and try to re-bend it, the bent part is harder than the rest, so it will try and favour non-bent sections on the return journey and you end up with an S bend.

The absolute best way to get it to the original position is to get it on an anvil (you'll need helpers to hold it level etc) and hammer it flat. Sometimes the shape of the frame interferes and doesn't allow that.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

Looks like the guy has had you over, intentional or not, item not as described. I should take it up with eBay regardless of whether it was expensive or not.
If it were me I wouldn't be happy with a repair so I'd say it's scrap.

The guy had a van out front with a livery that said something like 'Jason's Bike Repairs' or something, so either he's unqualified to do his job, or he completely had me. But, honestly, it's too far to go back for the money. I'll probably reuse the forks and hydraulic brake set on something in the future, which will offset a bit of the cost, but I haven't got it in me for a scrap for £35 at the moment. I'll just say that I'm 'paying for experience' for next time.

In the meantime, I think I'll take it to the LBS and see if they can do owt with it. If so, great. If not, off to the tip. Shame though. I really like the look of the bike when it's complete.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's fine if you think you'll be happy with it, see what your LBS thinks, but if one thing irks me more than anything else is when somebody tries to cheat you.
I should tell him the problem via ebay and see if he'll do the right thing and reimburse you or give you a chunk back depending on the outcome.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait a minute... the seller told you the mech hanger was bent didn't he? In agreeing to buy the bike you had to accept that the damage may have been more extensive than just a bent hanger so why moan about it?

From the second photo it looks as if it's been crashed.

I'd do as YS suggests and bend it back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bend it back, or buy a new hanger. Job done.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

Wait a minute... the seller told you the mech hanger was bent didn't he? In agreeing to buy the bike you had to accept that the damage may have been more extensive than just a bent hanger so why moan about it?

He said that the "gear dropout is broken". I bought a new one of those. He said that "the frame has marks and scratches due to use." which is fair enough. But he didn't at any point mention that the frame was bent. And, being a bike repairman by trade, probably should know that aluminium is a pain once bent.

davidphilips

Veteran
Its as much work rebuilding a low cost frame as is an expensive frame, so tbh i would just look out for a much more desirable frame and mark that one down to experience. Sorry if thats not what you want to hear but just my view, good luck in any case.

2old2care

Über Member
You could anneal the aluminium by baring the metal, marking it with a permanent marker, then gently heating it until the marked line disappears, at which point the ally will be soft enough to be worked. Once it has cooled you will have to repeat the process. This avoids the ally work hardening and becoming brittle.
Don't use an anvil and hammer it without annealing it first, tbh it looks like it just needs bending gently back into alignment.^_^

Last edited:
You could anneal the aluminium by baring the metal, marking it with a permanent marker, then gently heating it until the marked line disappears, at which point the ally will be soft enough to be worked. Once it has cooled you will have to repeat the process. This avoids the ally work hardening and becoming brittle.
Don't use an anvil and hammer it without annealing it first, tbh it looks like it just needs bending gently back into alignment.^_^

No, no no. This isn't a copper frame, it is 6000-series aluminium and heat treatment on that stuff doesn't work like that.

Venod

Eh up
I said.

If you can't get it straight or it breaks off, as long as you have a good dropout something like this might enable you to use the frame.

You said after this.

He said that the "gear dropout is broken"

So in the OP "The guy said the mech hanger is broken" but in addition to this he told you you the "gear dropout is broken"

Although I would refer to this as the drive side rear dropout it appears he did tell you about it.

This could be beyond repair, but I would still try.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This sort of hassle is one of the reasons I wont touch either aluminium alloy or carbon fibre bike frames with a bargepole. They are simply not DIY repair-friendly, and relatively trivial damage can render them scrap, that on a steel frame, could be easily straightened out using an adjustable spanner in five minutes with no nagging doubts that it will snap off afterwards..

Top Bottom