How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Same reason that Rapha can charge £200+ for a winter jacket. There's a mug born every minute.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Out of my price range but 8.7kg for a steel frame with disks is pretty light. Wait for the tester's report after riding it for a long journey. Looks tacky to me but taste is a funny thing.

Drago

Legendary Member
If its light, stiff, comfortable, efficient, flighty and playful feeling it'll be worth every penny.

In the cycling world it quite often does not follow that top money makes a top performer, but then quite often it does. Let's see what the testers reckon.

outlash

also available in orange
Made in the UK, top drawer fork & headset, small production run and because of that, Donhou will probably pay more for the tubing than larger companies. It's not cheap, but I can see why.

T4tomo

Guru
As above , how many disc equipped road bikes come in sub 9kg?

Then throw in chirs king hubs and headset. It's a decent proposition. Finish and build quality look spot on even if the pink to lime fade is a bit marmite.

Citius

No there is somebody who can spend their money on what they want to. I could easily call you a mug for what you spend your pennies on. Many people have a lot of disposable income, some do not.

Nobody's stopping them spending their money. £2.3k for a steel frame is still a mug's game though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would it be ok in your book if it were made from something else?

andyfraser

Über Member
No there is somebody who can spend their money on what they want to. I could easily call you a mug for what you spend your pennies on. Many people have a lot of disposable income, some do not.
I don't have that sort of disposable income so maybe I'd feel different if I did. I just know I'll end up dropping any bike at some point no matter how careful I am. I'd be gutted scuffing up my entry-level Felt. I'd be so mortified I'd go into permanent shock if I scuffed up a £4,000 bike!

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
Made in the UK, top drawer fork & headset, small production run and because of that, Donhou will probably pay more for the tubing than larger companies. It's not cheap, but I can see why.
All the British steel frame builders are small companies paying similar prices to suppliers. But as far as I can see Donhou's mark up is about £1000 more than Daves Yates or Rourke or the others who build with 853. There's nothing fancy about the Donhou except the paint and the image. The longer established builders compete with each other on price and they're all scraping a living. But Donhou has spotted a chance to charge extra for branding. That's the only difference I can see. If he's building off the shelf frames in 3 sizes he can get a little production line going and knock 'em out quickly.

Top Bottom