How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am with Drago on this, if you have not tried one then you have like me no idea of how good they are. As for frame makers not charging as much as others, we only need to look at how few there are around to see they should charge more.

screenman

Legendary Member
Though to be honest I'd sooner go for one of these...
http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/colnago-master-x-light-pr82-frameset-2014.html

NB note the similar price bracket

That is so old fashioned, you would need a pipe and slippers to sit on it.^_^

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well I think it's looks lovely, and if anyone would like to buy it for me, I'm sure I'll get your money's worth from it!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran

vickster

Legendary Member
Horizontal enough or too slopy? Lovely though @ £2400 for frame :wub:

prod_37831.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Now that is more like it. Just get rid of that dingo ugly stem and I'll get one. I'm struggling to find a titanium frame with a nice horizontal top tube.

My 853 frame was custom built to my own (freaky) body measurements and cost well less than half the figure quoted in the op.

Who built your current frame?

byegad

Legendary Member
It would win in the post Xmas schoolroom test.

A real conversation I overheard in a classroom on the first day back after Xmas.

Pupil 1. 'I got a new bike for Xmas.'
Pupil 2. 'How much did it cost?'

Now as a cyclist I'd have asked. 'What kind, MTB, Road, BMX or Tourer?' But back in the 1980s how much was the only question worth asking. Sadly for some it still is!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
It looks spot onto me, mountain bikers have been paying those prices for years. Every detail has obviously been thought and probably tried and tested in situ. All that research and development has to be paid for - and with it being 853 it's a bike for life - in that context it's probably a bargain to some people.

Edit: and it is very pretty.

Goldie

Über Member
If Tom thinks he can make a decent living building and selling bikes at this price - and if some people are going to buy the bikes he makes and be over the moon with what they've bought - and if those people are the kind of people who might have spent the same kind of money on, say, a Specialized Venge, then I'd say it's a win-win-win. The marketing is really nice and honest too - it's just "I'll build you a nice, disc equipped road bike with a paint scheme unlike anyone elses, right here in the UK. You give me a large (but not massive) pile of cash". There's no cobblers about special carbon layups, or collaborations with F1 manufacturers. I like that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It looks spot onto me, mountain bikers have been paying those prices for years. Every detail has obviously been thought and probably tried and tested in situ. All that research and development has to be paid for - and with it being 853 it's a bike for life - in that context it's probably a bargain to some people.

Edit: and it is very pretty.

Why is it more "For life" than any other material? Steel frames were produced in their hundreds of millions up to the millennium yet very few seem to have survived.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It isn't plain ole 853, like my Genesis, it is 853 ProTeam tubes, which I imagine commands a premium price.
It's hand built, from 853 ProTeam, which I imagine commands a premium price.
It's hand built, from 853 ProTeam, in London, which I imagine commands a premium price.
It's hand built, from 853 ProTeam, in London, by someone who wins prizes for their creations at bespoke bike shows, which I imagine commands a premium price.
It's hand built, from 853 ProTeam, in London, by someone who wins prizes for their creations at bespoke bike shows, and who commands a premium price which will guarantee a degree of exclusivity, which I imagine commands a premium price.

Top Bottom