How can Donhou charge £2300 for an off the shelf 853 frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

What do you ride citius? Steel?carbon?alloy?Ti?

And is it worth what you paid for it?

I have 1x steel, 1x carbon and 2x aluminium frames. I used to have a Ti as well. I was happy to pay the asking price for them, if that helps moves the debate on (which I doubt).

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have 1x steel, 1x carbon and 2x aluminium frames. I used to have a Ti as well. I was happy to pay the asking price for them, if that helps moves the debate on (which I doubt).
So what makes you think someone buying rapha? Donhou?

Is a mug?

jowwy

Well, the price mainly. Specifically, the price in relation to what comparable items would cost from other suppliers. We've been through this already.
But they want rapha and donhou, so what right do have to sit at your pc/tablet/laptop/smartphone......to call them a mug, for spending their money on something they wish/desire and have the financial ability to do so?

jowwy

I think it's called the right of free speech. Is that ok?
I would could bullying, derogatory and down right disrespectful.......but then i was educated and brought up to treat people as equal and allow them right to make their own choices and therefore not be judgemental.

Goodnight

Citius

I would could bullying, derogatory and down right disrespectful.......but then i was educated and brought up to treat people as equal and allow them right to make their own choices and therefore not be judgemental.

Goodnight

Now you're being judgemental - which is exactly what you were brought up not to do, apparently. Anyway, it's a bit early for bed.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think it's called the right of free speech. Is that ok?

I agree with free speech, but I stopped name calling back in junior school. There again we do not know how old you are.

Citius

Wow - some of you guys are taking this REALLY personally. Suggesting that people are being mugged for paying what is effectively twice the market price for an 853 frame is hardly 'name calling'. I would call it a public service. Anyway, it obviously hit a nerve by the sounds of it.

screenman

Legendary Member
You did not say they were being mugged, you called them mugs, different thing.

You have not been able to answer an earlier question of mine.

OP
OP
Eurostar

Eurostar

Guru
A question for the OP how long do they think it takes to make and finish a handbuilt frame?
I asked Dave Yates this and I think he said 1 day. That's including forks.

If Donhou gets a nice bunch of orders for the off the shelf frames he can probably productionise things a little, buy another jig and take on an apprentice to make two a day. That's what I'd do. It would leave me free to work on the backlog of custom frame orders. And it ought to be extremely profitable.

jowwy

Wow - some of you guys are taking this REALLY personally. Suggesting that people are being mugged for paying what is effectively twice the market price for an 853 frame is hardly 'name calling'. I would call it a public service. Anyway, it obviously hit a nerve by the sounds of it.
I just dont like people being called mugs for spending their money on what they want........but justify your response in anyway you wish to make yourself feel better..........personally i think like everything in life, you get what you pay for and rapha cycling gear is definately worth the price tag in my opinion and experience

Top Bottom