How can I get comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
If you've been used to the more upright position of a hybrid, the difference in geometry on the Audax might be making your neck ache. I found the same thing at first when I went from a hybrid to a road bike, but once my neck and shoulder muscles strengthened the problem went away.

If you really don't like this bike, and it seems that you don't, why not return it while you can and go back to the cycling you were enjoying before? People tour and do all sorts of long distances on hybrids, usually for this very reason - they prefer the more upright riding position.

I wondered if I just needed to give it more time to get used to it. The bike rides very nice, very smooth and certainly a lot easier to get up hills than my old bike which was a dreadful slog.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
From what I have learnt recently the problem could come from several things not being right . This could be from your cleats/pedals not set up right to saddle height to handlebars . My first bit if advice would be to find a really good bike shop. Go in and tell them your problem And if they are good they will give you some pointers or may even do a quick alteration for you.
If not have you seen the video that Gravity Aided posted on my thread Bike Fit ? It's very good and will give you an idea of what to look for but you may need a friend to help .
If all that fails have a go at raising the saddle. I'm 5"4 and was amazed how high my saddle went to get me the extension I needed which stopped my back ache. Also the handle bars may need to be moved in/ out or up. Finally your cleats may need to be repositioned slightly off centre to make your foot then leg place in the correct position.

Try the shop first, the independents are usually the best.

Best of luck and sorry if there's wired spelling as I'm on my iPhone. :-)

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
Sounds so, on a 42cm, your saddle will be pretty close to the bars, even if you are small. Why haven't the bars been changed yet? The 14 day cooling off should start when that is sorted as of course the bike won't work for you if it's wrong. 42cm bars are wide. My Pearson was fitted with 42cm bars, now have a 38cm compact and I am 5'10 and pretty broad!

Have you compared all of the geometry of the two bikes, not just the crossbar?

Well, while they have agreed it was their mistake and the change of bars will be free, they actually want me to take the bike to them to get it done. It's a two and half hour drive from me and I haven't had time to go down there yet. Was hoping to do it next week.

I was originally going to go for 40cm bars however, I am asthmatic so I wanted a wider bar to open the chest.

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
From what I have learnt recently the problem could come from several things not being right . This could be from your cleats/pedals not set up right to saddle height to handlebars . My first bit if advice would be to find a really good bike shop. Go in and tell them your problem And if they are good they will give you some pointers or may even do a quick alteration for you.
If not have you seen the video that Gravity Aided posted on my thread Bike Fit ? It's very good and will give you an idea of what to look for but you may need a friend to help .
If all that fails have a go at raising the saddle. I'm 5"4 and was amazed how high my saddle went to get me the extension I needed which stopped my back ache. Also the handle bars may need to be moved in/ out or up. Finally your cleats may need to be repositioned slightly off centre to make your foot then leg place in the correct position.

Try the shop first, the independents are usually the best.

Best of luck and sorry if there's wired spelling as I'm on my iPhone. :-)

Thank you, I will have a look. My local bike shop is very helpful, I have been in several times with this bike, first to have the pedals removed from my old bike and put on the new one and two changes of bar height. They haven't charged me for any of this so don't want to keep going in for more help. I did ask them to charge on my last visit but they didn't and it makes it a bit awkward to keep going in and asking for more help.

vickster

Legendary Member
They made a mistake, they should arrange for the bike to be collected. Or pay for you to get the bars fixed elsewhere locally. How much would it cost you to get there? Will they reimburse you for time and costs? Sounds a bit off as you have paid top dollar for a build, not bought off the peg from Wiggle say

OP
OP
London Female

London Female

Über Member
They made a mistake, they should arrange for the bike to be collected. Or pay for you to get the bars fixed elsewhere locally. How much would it cost you to get there? Will they reimburse you for time and costs? Sounds a bit off as you have paid top dollar for a build, not bought off the peg from Wiggle say

I am going to phone them tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Sixmile

Veteran
Bumping this one up.. I have moved from a hybrid to a recently purchased Cube Peloton Race 58, with a 56 top tube apparently. I as yet, cannot get anywhere near comfortable on this thing. I get a wickedly uncomfortable muscle pain just inside my left shoulder blade and discomfort to the bottom of my neck and at the bottom of my back to a lesser degree. Don't even talk to me about my wrists!

My question isn't as much about the pain and discomfort (although any help appreciated), moreso of how long on a road bike can you hold a position? I seem to have to change handlebar grip position every minute or so as I can't stay in one place for too long. Is this normal?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bumping this one up.. I have moved from a hybrid to a recently purchased Cube Peloton Race 58, with a 56 top tube apparently. I as yet, cannot get anywhere near comfortable on this thing. I get a wickedly uncomfortable muscle pain just inside my left shoulder blade and discomfort to the bottom of my neck and at the bottom of my back to a lesser degree. Don't even talk to me about my wrists!

My question isn't as much about the pain and discomfort (although any help appreciated), moreso of how long on a road bike can you hold a position? I seem to have to change handlebar grip position every minute or so as I can't stay in one place for too long. Is this normal?
How tall are you?
Male or Female?
How long is the stem?
Can you post s picture of the bike how it is set up now?

When I'm on my PC later I'll post a link to a very good article on bike set up. The trick is to get the saddle position right first and then adjust bars to meet you ...

Sixmile

Veteran
5ft 10.5
Male
Not sure
I'll take a picture later

I'm thinking that the saddle is too high for me therefore I'm reaching down and leaning too much on my shoulders and wrists.

Many thanks for your post!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think you need to set your saddle height so that your legs are almost straight when at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Then you get the rest of your body comfy by adjusting the stem. If you only adjust the saddle your pedalling will be less efficient and more uncomfortable, even if you have solved the shoulder pains.

Having to change position every minute is not normal...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
5ft 10.5
Male
Not sure
I'll take a picture later

I'm thinking that the saddle is too high for me therefore I'm reaching down and leaning too much on my shoulders and wrists.

Many thanks for your post!
Thanks
56cm top tube does not seem unreasonable for your height unless you have a short body and long legs. You may however just be sat too far forward overall to be properly balanced. I'm thinking saddle back, bars up and a shorter stem.
Read this ... disregard the bit about crank length, that's mostly nonsense, but the bit about 'Fore-Aft position' and being 'balanced' is spot-on. You should be in a riding position whereby you can pretty much just let go of the bars and remain in the same position without falling forward or straining yourself to remain upright.
Of course building some back and core strength with time will help.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Top Bottom