How can I get over/under the Thames on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
bof said:
Isnt that the one where its often a Police Landrover giving the lift?

If it is, I will give it a go sometime.

I wanted to do a Sunday run with Woolwich Ferry as a turning point once and found it does not open up till around 12 on a Sunday.

There is also a Woolwich foot/cycle tunnel - It's open 24x7 as long as you can lift your bike up a long staircase. The lifts 'only' operate 7am/7pm monday/friday and slightly less at weekends

The tunnel is right by the ferry, on the southside it's around the back of the swimming pool, on the north side its near all the satalite dishes

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have used the 'free transfer' many times. There are cycle routes both sides to the control stations where a Land Rover may be waiting. Or it may be between trips. If there is no one at control there is a phone you can use to call them to let you know you are waiting. Times waiting are dependent on a few things. If you are lucky, a Land Rover will be there waiting and you will be across in 5 minutes. If you have just missed one or there is a queue of other cyclists (The Land Rover can take 3 bikes) then you will have to wait anything up to an hour. Apart from that it's a very good service and the staff are very friendly.

ttony002 said:
Thinking of going to bike radar july 9/10/11 .
Cycling from norwich ish have to be back for appointment 12.20 monday .
Trying to workout time table, has anybody used the "free transfer" trailer thingy
should take 15/30 mins . Is this correct or dose it take longer any one know?
Can use ferry on the way down but not on return on sunday

blockend

Recently used the Seine ferries downstream of Rouen. Lots of them, all free (even to cars) and the turnaround is about a minute, even when negotiating ocean going cargo ships.
Makes the Thames crossings look a bit sad.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've had fun in the last two weeks - both the Pont de Normandie (mouth of the Seine) and the Pont St Nazaire! (mouth of the Loire) Those, you can ride over, and boy, are they steep going up!

Fun coming down the other side though!:blush:

Tedx

Bigtallfatbloke I live right next to the Dartford bridge and you CAN take your bike accross. Pull up to the first little hut at the start of the bridge and a let them know you have a bike. One of the guys will then take you accross in a landrover with a bike rack on the back.

Oh and its free!

You can also take the Tilbury to Gravesend ferry as others have already said.

StuartG

slower but further
Dartford crossing is no problem at all. Used it a few times. The Highways Agency vehicle can take three bikes at a time so unless you have a tandem, recumbent or are part of a larger group you should get across within 20 mins if the vehicle is on the other side. There is a waiting room should the weather be inclement.

If approaching from the Essex side ignore the badly positioned no cycling sign. It applies to the slip road not the cycle path to the pick-up point.

ttony002

Über Member
Having got back home safe and sound , can confirm dartford crossing piece of cake. 20 min south bound and 50 min north with heavy traffic. What ever was i worried about . Thanks for advice everyone...

Sorry if this sounds thick but can someone tell me how I can cycle to the entrance where you can get a lift over the Dartford Bridge.I ask because every time I have been over or under it I have been in a car or on a motorbike and I can only visualise getting to the toll booths via the M25 and has I do not want to end up being featured on one of those tv programmes where you see someone travelling down a motorway on a bike or electric chair it may be better for me to ask the question.

Prior to learning that you can cross on a bike I only assumed it meant an awful ride up to and through the Blackwall Tunnel.

OP great question thanks

ttony002

Über Member
Hope this helps i've only done this once but it worked. This asumes you are going north south first.
Heading past lakeside shopping center on the A1306. At thurrock roundabout . Turn left you should see cycle path sigh. Follow path untill you come to small building on your right .
Its where you may have seen people who have a problem wait. There is a small (bus type) shelter . Look for phone in yellow box on the small building and call them if not there.
When they drop you of on the other side this is of course where you will have to be to get back to the north side.
Its of the A206 towards the bridge buisness park on your right.
look for green portacabin yellow railings and a sign asking cyclist's to wait here .
Now find the phone in the yellowbox on the other end of building and call.
The guys who pick you up are helpful and polite they have a vauxhall pickup with a cycle rack on the back .
as i said hope this helps .

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
+1 for the Dartford Crossing. I've used this (mostly with Ian) on a few occasions, and even with a recumbent there's little wait. Infact, IIRC, the 'bent just goes on with the other bike, and over we go. Very pleasant.

Top Bottom