How can I get over/under the Thames on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony

Greenwich or Woolwich tunnels, Woolwich ferry.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...sorry I forgot to put down where I would come from...which is Essex...so I had hoped to avoid those two, or more precisely having to cycle into greater London at all.

pw2389

Isn't there a ferry at Tilbury-Gravesend, meaning you can avoid the worst of London and proceed down into deepest Kent?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Woolwich ferry is good fun.

Otherwise there's Rotherithe tunnel too, just don't breathe in until you're out the other end!

Check the timetable very carefully. The ferry may not run EVERY day or EVERY hour. Bikes are carried free 'dependant upon space'.

P.H

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...given that the Dartford crossing is difficult without a car.

Not that difficult;

Q. What provision is there for cyclists to use the Crossing?
A. Cyclists are prohibited from riding across the bridge or through the tunnels. However the Crossing staff will be pleased to arrange for cyclists to be transported from one side to the other.Northbound cyclists should follow the cycle paths provided to the sign "Cyclists Wait here". From this point forward free transport will be provided to carry you and your bike through the Tunnels. Southbound cyclists should dismount at the Essex Control building and wait for free transfer across the QE2 Bridge. A free call telephone is provided should this point be unattended.If you are riding a tandem or travelling as a group e.g. a cycle club it is advisable to make prior arrangements by contacting the Crossing. The transfer should take between 15 - 30 minutes

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4075.aspx

I've also used the ferries. Gravesend was good fun, just be sure it's runing. Woolwich was spoilt by the roads leading up to it on the north side.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The Isle of Dogs - Greenwich foot tunnel is fun and a lovely bit of Victorian architecture to boot, although it may be out of your way.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
P.H said:
Not that difficult;

Q. What provision is there for cyclists to use the Crossing?
A The transfer should take between 15 - 30 minutes

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4075.aspx

I've also used the ferries. Gravesend was good fun, just be sure it's runing. Woolwich was spoilt by the roads leading up to it on the north side.

Isnt that the one where its often a Police Landrover giving the lift?

If it is, I will give it a go sometime.

I wanted to do a Sunday run with Woolwich Ferry as a turning point once and found it does not open up till around 12 on a Sunday.

Second the Tilbury ferry, although the Tilbury side is a little "industrial"

Depending where you are planning to go, there is a quiet(ish) road though West Tilbury or Chadwell St Mary to avoid the busy A13

ttony002

Über Member
Thinking of going to bike radar july 9/10/11 .
Cycling from norwich ish have to be back for appointment 12.20 monday .
Trying to workout time table, has anybody used the "free transfer" trailer thingy
should take 15/30 mins . Is this correct or dose it take longer any one know?
Can use ferry on the way down but not on return on sunday

Top Bottom