How can I improve these brakes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

Following on from a resent thread I posted with great success ( fitting V brakes to a MTB with cantis) Is there anyway I can improve these brakes using the same mount type. ?

a.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless you can find a long drop modern brake ?

If keeping original, clean it all, buy good quality cables (lined PTFE ones) and get new pads. Oh and clean the rims.

They are farly budget callipers (plastic cover on the centre bolt).

Keep original if you can.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can see jf you can find some long drop dual pivot calipers that'll fit. That may necessitate minor drilling and new levers.

If you prefer the olde worlde look then weimann centrepulls can give a bit more bite, and it looks like some new cables wouldn't hurt either.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the 70's centrepulls marked you out as a man to be reckoned with, a man of style, not afraid to buck convention. Youd be also wearing implausibly tight Jean's and a denim shirt slashed open to the waist, would reek of Brut, and would go home from the pub each night with a different laydee. Yes, the 70's were heady times for those of us with centrepulls in our lives.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In the 70's centrepulls marked you out as a man to be reckoned with, a man of style, not afraid to buck convention. Youd be also wearing implausibly tight Jean's and a denim shirt slashed open to the waist, would reek of Brut, and would go home from the pub each night with a different laydee. Yes, the 70's were heady times for those of us with centrepulls in our lives.

Erm ... the bike above's my 15 year-old's. He's already got the tight jeans. I'd prefer he doesn't get an idea about the rest :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I once dismantled, cleaned and greased a pair of Weinmann centrepulls that were very old and manky. The difference was tremendous. Polished them too so they looked good too.

I know these are side pulls but a strip down, clean, polish, grease and reassemble may be no bad thing.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Hello all ,

I have not been using the bike at all for at least 6 months due to my Fybromyalgia and in reality me using it as an excuse to be lazy. But over the past few days I have of course been house bound so have been looking for things to do. Just before the lock down I tried a pair of V brake levers on this bike thinking I may get a little more leverage before I gave two of the bikes away ( I had 4) this didn't work so I replaced the brakes back onto the original bike and off they went to there new owners. I was looking for something in my work shop when I came across the original brake levers that one of the a fore mentioned bikes used to wear before I converted from Cantilevers to V brakes, I thought it's worth a try and just fitted one of them as a test, Wow I went to the top of the road rolled down and locked the back brake up straight away I've now fitted the front lever and the brakes are superb. The cantilevers brake levers I'm using are the ones that have a straddle cable linking the two sides of the brakes together fitted to late 80's early 90's MTB's. This bike will now be fully usable with brakes I trust. I now just have two bikes the early 90's E Clements which I can now use as a commuter bike and a Diamond back full sus disc braked MTB which of course I can use off road. I kept tripping over the bikes in the workshop and the two I gave away where designed/Modified by me to be half way between road and off road so they were the ones that went.

Top Bottom