How can I open this jar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RUTHIEBAV

I do loads of exercise including weights but I CAN'T OPEN MY JAR OF CARAMALISED ONION RELISH aaaggghhhh!!! Usually I just get my husband to help but he's in the U.S. Any suggestions? ... I want ... I want ... it looks so tasty. Ruth

AliA

Try opening with a rubber glove on - does the trick for me normally

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Put rubber bands around the lid (and if necessary around the jar too, to improve your grip), then put a dish cloth over the lid and twist.

Sometimes running hot water over the metal lid beforehand would also help (because the metal expands more than the glass jar).

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm glad you're in...

Another time (I'm assuming this is a new jar, unopened before): find a teaspoon with a fine edge to the bowl. Insert this under the edge of the lid and lever out gently. The vaccuum will 'pop' and the lid will be easy to remove.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
RUTHIEBAV said:
I do loads of exercise including weights but I CAN'T OPEN MY JAR OF CARAMALISED ONION RELISH aaaggghhhh!!! Usually I just get my husband to help but he's in the U.S. Any suggestions? ... I want ... I want ... it looks so tasty. Ruth

I reckon that would have gone down well with the liver that i've just cooked and consumed.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks everyone for answering my cries for help. Can't post personal replies as have mouth full.

Hope it doesn't mean I burp onion on my cycle tomorrow, darn should have thought of that before.

R x

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

User1314 said:
Caramelised onion relish? Sounds tasty.

What goes into the relish part?

I cook mean caramelised onions. But guess the relish is a reduced sauce of tomato, salt, pepper, and other seasoning as required? Lemon, chillies etc...

You're totally over estimating my commitment to relish. I only bought it, didn't make it (although have done so in the past, I'm old(er) and lazy now). All I needed to do was open the jar and even that nearly defeated me. R x

Klaus

Haven't seen my method mentioned .... don't ask me why this works, it just does (most of the time).

Take glas jar, turn up side down - over sink just in case....
Slap the bottom (now on top) of the jar....
Turn over and unscrew lid....
Job done!

I find pickled gherkin jars are always difficult to open but this does the trick ...

Top Bottom