How can I put the derailleur on left side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

How can I put the derailleur on left side?
its a simple question but i fear not quite as simple as the answer is going to be, so far iv not found anything apart from how to make one from scratch to fit on the left now i would love to do this but i have left my machine shop in my other trousers and i dont think a hammer and a few spanners in the garden arnt going to do much.
so is there a way has anyone done it or tried or am i looking at something custom built ??

stuee

KneesUp

Guru
You'd need a hanger for the dérailleur on the other side, which might be do-able if it's a removable one.

But you'd also need a freewheel that worked the other way around, and dérailleurs that worked the other way around - that might be trickier.

Why would you want to?

KneesUp

Guru
I've just done it on mine actually - it was quite easy.

Problem is it's only there when I face the bike. As soon as I get in the saddle it's on the right again. I suspect I've not tightened one of the bolts enough.

Here's one I did earlier

0df98ab0d20d4b053b3e53f38c95b2a3_zps22e06cef.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is that the angles of the shifting mechanism will probably not work as the chain is traveling in the wrong direction, and the plates will be the wrong way round.

What may be easier would be to install some sort of "crossover drive"

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

the reason im asking is im building a new recumbent trike and iv been looking at ways for the gearing i have at the front a triple just as normal this is to go on the left and a chain runs to a second bottom bracket in the centre this has a single on the left that is the same size as the middle gear on the front triple. then on the right hand side there is a normal triple in the middle bottom bracket driving a standard rear wheel freewheel.
basically the idea is if i have the front gears on the middle gear its a 1:1 so ride will be as normal but if i chose the smaller gear at the front i will achieve a lower gearing for hills ect and if i chose the large gear at the front then i will have higher gearing ideal for flats and down hills.
i know there are drive systems on the market that will give me the same things with less hassle, but 1 iv not got the cash to splash about on things like that and 2 i like to make things and enjoy a challenge lol

stuee

classic33

Leg End Member
the reason im asking is im building a new recumbent trike and iv been looking at ways for the gearing i have at the front a triple just as normal this is to go on the left and a chain runs to a second bottom bracket in the centre this has a single on the left that is the same size as the middle gear on the front triple. then on the right hand side there is a normal triple in the middle bottom bracket driving a standard rear wheel freewheel.
basically the idea is if i have the front gears on the middle gear its a 1:1 so ride will be as normal but if i chose the smaller gear at the front i will achieve a lower gearing for hills ect and if i chose the large gear at the front then i will have higher gearing ideal for flats and down hills.
i know there are drive systems on the market that will give me the same things with less hassle, but 1 iv not got the cash to splash about on things like that and 2 i like to make things and enjoy a challenge lol

stuee
Considered using one of the cheaper ones, held in place by the axle nut?
I'll check thebook and lt you know.

Top Bottom