1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I put the derailleur on left side?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by stuee147, 11 May 2014.

1. stuee147

stuee147 Senior Member

north ayrshire
    How can I put the derailleur on left side?
    its a simple question but i fear not quite as simple as the answer is going to be, so far iv not found anything apart from how to make one from scratch to fit on the left now i would love to do this but i have left my machine shop in my other trousers and i dont think a hammer and a few spanners in the garden arnt going to do much.
    so is there a way has anyone done it or tried or am i looking at something custom built ??

2. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

You'd need a hanger for the dérailleur on the other side, which might be do-able if it's a removable one.

But you'd also need a freewheel that worked the other way around, and dérailleurs that worked the other way around - that might be trickier.

Why would you want to?
  3. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Nr Cambridge
    April 1st has passed. Are you for real?

There might have been left side transmissions in the past but these died an early death.
    Roadrider48 and stuee147 like this.
  4. Not without a great deal of effort and a huge amount of money.You'd need a pretty good reason to embark on such a project. Do you have a good reason?
  5. TissoT

TissoT Über Member

May be he is lefty ....:smile:
    PlymSlimCyclist and Crankarm like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Have you tried leaning it up against a shop window and looking at it that way?
  7. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

How much movement is required, once fitted?
  8. classic33

An Atomic Zombie Trike?
  9. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I've thought the same thing before... only because I'd like a LH bike, and a LH piano... but i have the excuse of being a very odd individual.
    Illaveago, tyred and classic33 like this.
  10. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

I've just done it on mine actually - it was quite easy.

Problem is it's only there when I face the bike. As soon as I get in the saddle it's on the right again. I suspect I've not tightened one of the bolts enough.
    Illaveago, Smokin Joe, dfthe1 and 2 others like this.
  11. BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham Mask is gone!

Here's one I did earlier

Last edited: 18 Nov 2014
    Illaveago, Steady, the_mikey and 5 others like this.
  12. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

The problem is that the angles of the shifting mechanism will probably not work as the chain is traveling in the wrong direction, and the plates will be the wrong way round.

What may be easier would be to install some sort of "crossover drive"
    Mark Grant likes this.
  13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

It can't be done.
    A LHD fixie, sure. There's no good reason to, but it could be done. I've done it by accident...
    But not a derailleur. You'd have to make the rear mech.
  14. OP

stuee147 Senior Member

north ayrshire
    the reason im asking is im building a new recumbent trike and iv been looking at ways for the gearing i have at the front a triple just as normal this is to go on the left and a chain runs to a second bottom bracket in the centre this has a single on the left that is the same size as the middle gear on the front triple. then on the right hand side there is a normal triple in the middle bottom bracket driving a standard rear wheel freewheel.
    basically the idea is if i have the front gears on the middle gear its a 1:1 so ride will be as normal but if i chose the smaller gear at the front i will achieve a lower gearing for hills ect and if i chose the large gear at the front then i will have higher gearing ideal for flats and down hills.
    i know there are drive systems on the market that will give me the same things with less hassle, but 1 iv not got the cash to splash about on things like that and 2 i like to make things and enjoy a challenge lol

Illaveago and wiggydiggy like this.
  15. classic33

Considered using one of the cheaper ones, held in place by the axle nut?
    I'll check thebook and lt you know.
    Illaveago likes this.