How can I weigh my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...without taking it all apart and relying on the bathroom scales?

I would like to be able to weigh the bike when fully loaded with all my gear...any tricks to this? Ideally I need a huge set of bathroom scales me thinks:biggrin:

..or two , one under each wheel, but which reading would be correct???

P.H

Über Member
I used the bathroom scales, weighed myself holding bike, weighed myself without bike, subtracted one from the other, job done.

barq

I'd go with what PH says - probably would calculate the mean from three measurements. Alternatively lots of LBSs have bike scales, they often hang off a workstand. To weigh your kit you'd have to attach it to the bike.

TimO

Guru
We've got a simple spring balance in our lab, which I've used to weigh containers that are being shipped overseas. It's essentially just a spring, and a dial set up to measure how much the spring stretches. You could build one with a big enough spring and a scale to measure the extension, but you would need some known weights to calibrate it. Ours will measure up to 50kg, so plenty chunky enough for a bike.

(Hint; Hooke's Law is the relevant bit of science).

TimO said:
We've got a simple spring balance.

I bought one of these from the local hardware shop, it cost about £4 and told me all my bikes are heavy;) still it was worth a few quid to satisfy my curiosity. If I was smart enough I could have used PH 's method first:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...without taking it all apart and relying on the bathroom scales?

I would like to be able to weigh the bike when fully loaded with all my gear...any tricks to this? Ideally I need a huge set of bathroom scales me thinks:biggrin:

..or two , one under each wheel, but which reading would be correct???[/QUOTE]

If you used 2 scales you would need to add both readings together to get the weight!!!!!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Many thanks chaps...Me thinks I'll try what P.H suggested.
Oh the Mrs will be pleased when I take my bike into the barfroom lol!

Keith Oates

Janner
If you really want to make her happy take the scales down to the garage and weigh it down there!!!!

gavintc

Guru
I use bathroom scales lifting my bike, then without, compare difference. Good enough as a general guide within a pound or so. I have also had it weighed during a service at the LBS and this is a more accurate measure.

simoncc

Just put the front wheel on the bathroom scales, then the back and add the two readings together. This will be accurate enough.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Reminds me about my brothers Rottweiller, needed to weigh so stood on Moms scales and weighed himself (12st.), then picked up the dog and re-weighed himself.

Broke the scales !!

14st. of dog sitting on ya foot bloody hurts !!

bobg

Über Member
I know this seems an illogilcal /unlikely method but I weighed mine using a cheap spring balance - hooked it on the front - lifted and weighed, same again for the back and added the two. I stoutly denied that it would be accurate but it was??? bar a couple of LB. I'm sure th physics wouldn't stack up but .....

Just pick it up and gauge it by hand.

I went in Halfrauds for something last week and decided to have a look at the Bordman bikes, just for noseyness really.

As I was looking, two heavy-accented asian guys turned-up and started looking too.
One picked-up the 'top of the range roadbike' recently a prize on ITV4 and weighed it up by hand.

...it was chained to a stand, which he was also lifting off the floor, but he seemed not to notice...

He remarked to the other guy how light it was, how it was very good and must be 531

Hmmm.

Top Bottom