How can stuff cost so much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
some parts are crazy prices, it almost reaches the point where you can be better off buying a complete bike. Take the bits you need and sell on the rest. Especially if you need something like STI shifters.

I see a lot of stuff on the net about how cheaply you can throw a reasonable bike together for. Even shopping around I seem to end up with a cost that's about 50% more than buying a complete bike. Buying secondhand helps but there are added risks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'How can stuff cost so much?' Simple. Companies will charge whatever people will pay.

buddha

Veteran
+1 for Stronglight Dural chainrings. I've had one on my s/s bike for over two years and the wear has only just become noticeable. Though being a really tight b%$&£$* I'll probably just reverse it around when the time comes.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Arch said:
One of the ones I've looked at on SJS is Shimano Sora, I suppose that's only for poor people with no judgement, I can never remember what the hierarchy is (and don't really care). It's a very well, Maggot, to say pay more, but on a limited budget, little economies are what make it possible to have the trike at all.

Sora is the entry level group set but having said that I found the group set to perform perfectly well on my first road bike. I now have 105 stuff and yes it's smoother to operate but I'

I'm not convinced that it adds to my sense of well being.

You also might like to have a look at the wares on offer at spa cycles - it's a decent ride out from York.

postman

Legendary Member
Dave my buddy has just had his lbs put a Sora compact on his Dawes.
He did a little ride to Knaresbrough on Sunday .
He is over the moon .Loves it

Top Bottom