how careful when putting bar ends on carbon bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Never tried it myself, but I always understood putting bar ends on carbon bars was a bad thing.
As regards the rest of your query you'd be best off sliding the controls inwards.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Lift the ends and spray some lube under them to remove. Wash them and let them dry. To re-install, spray some hairspray onto the bar. This will lubricate the grips as you slide them on, then the solvent will evaporate and the residue will stick the grips to the bar.

Mr Pig

You don't actually need to use lube to get the grips off, just use hair spray for that too.

If it's not a stupid thing to say, what's the point of saving weight with carbon bars if you're just going to bolt chunks of metal to the ends of them anyway?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Carbon bars are for more than just weight saving Mr Pig, they are more comfortable. :angry:

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
the handlebars are already carbon the bike came like it and i am adding carbon bar ends they werent that expensive and carbon is warmer in the winter than metal and it seems a shame not to continue in the vein in which the bike was sold to me

02GF74

Über Member
as you have figured out, overtightening will crush the bar.

.... but some bars have insert in the end for this reason; otherwise tighten until the bar ends do not move then a nip more.

Top Bottom