How did I give up mountain biking for the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I got back into cycling a numbers of years ago I naturally just bought an MTB, (as that's what I'd finished up with back in the day), but after a couple of years I found I was riding mainly on road so I sold the MTB and bought my first road bike since 1987!

Although I enjoyed the road bike once I'd adjusted to the handling etc I did miss the MTB, (or so I thought). So I sold the road bike and got another MTB, but after the road bike it just felt like a donkey, even though it was full cf!

So that MTB went and was replaced with another road bike, then another, and another, (you know how it goes), and although I've dipped my toe with a CX bike in the intervening years I basically never looked back for my main riding duties.

That said, earlier this year I did buy an old Claud Butler Oracle off roadrash, and despite it's advancing years, (and mine TBH!), I do enjoy a pootle around the tracks and trails near me. I'd never load the car with it and drive miles for a mooch, but for just jumping on and blazing a trail it is great fun. I think the fact I haven't got £££££'s tied up in both a a road bike and an MTB helps, I couldn't justify a top end one of each TBH, but I've found a happy balance for me.

So in a nutshell, keep it. Unless you can't justify a bike of it's caliber, in which case sell it and buy a cheap one for the odd off road blitz you will inevitably crave sooner or later.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
*sniff* Comforting words, thanks all. Maybe we'll get some decent crisp frozen snow and clear blue skies this winter, when it will come in useful even for local trips.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'll give you £60 and a turnip.

I'd keep it. I still use mine, yup I am a clean freak but a bit of muddy stuff is fun. Got some good real routes that are less than a mile from my house, or can whizz the bike just 9 miles to Clayton Vale. And I'm a roadie through and through (crap off road descending).
How much do you want for the turnip?

simon.r

Person
Very similar story here, even down to the Ti frame (although I allowed myself the luxury of a Marzocchi MX Comp suspension fork). The last time I rode it was January.

I don't think I'll ever sell it. It's worth a fraction of what I paid for it, it brings back very fond memories and it WILL get used properly again at some point!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The reason why it's built up as a fast, light XC bike is that I used to shoulder it up real mountains then ride it along and down them; the High Street circuit in The Lakes was one of my favourite outings. But trips like that need an entire day out so they became increasingly rare as family duties caught up.

P1060324.jpg

That saddle angle looks a bit painful!

How much does the bike weigh?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
It works with that fairly upright position. Dunno how much it weighs but I'd guess around 8 kgs. Rides as smooth as anything. After climbing High Street and riding all along the top then back along Ullswater last year I still had plenty left in the tank compared with the poor guys on FS bikes, who were goosed.

ColinJ

It works with that fairly upright position. Dunno how much it weighs but I'd guess around 8 kgs. Rides as smooth as anything. After climbing High Street and riding all along the top then back along Ullswater last year I still had plenty left in the tank compared with the poor guys on FS bikes, who were goosed.
I can't cope with even a hint of tilted-up saddle - I suffer numb nuts within minutes! My saddles are all either dead level or tilted down by a degree or two.

8 kg - that's about the weight of my Cannondale road bike! If you are right, then that is a superlight MTB!

My MTB weighs about 28 pounds or 12.7 kg. I like it, but It would be nice to have one about 3 kg lighter.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Like I said, I don't know 'cos I've never weighed it but with a Ti frame and rigid carbon fork it's light enough. The roadie is 7.6 kgs so I'll revise the MTB to 9-10.

Peteaud

Veteran
My (expensive) MTB is now in the loft :eek:

The road bikes now sit in pride of place, but i will not get a lot back for the MTB so i would rather keep it and may one day go out on it.

I rode MTB for years, but once i got the taste of the freedom a road bike gives in terms of miles / distance i just prefer them. Also like the OP i got sick of loading the car up, driving to the ctr / woods etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I like the look of that bike - i'm toyng with the idea of a Ti frame for my 29er as i only use it for towpaths and commuting duties - i've also removed the suspension forks on mine and with the carbon fibre seat stays and cyclocross tyres my 29er weighs in at a tad over 9kgs

with the suspension forks and big lumpy tyres added it was a beast at 12kg

ColinJ

Like I said, I don't know 'cos I've never weighed it but with a Ti frame and rigid carbon fork it's light enough. The roadie is 7.6 kgs so I'll revise the MTB to 9-10.
That sounds more likely. I would love a MTB that light but I wouldn't fancy doing without suspension forks.

One thing I could do to get the bike weight down is to replace my rear tyre. I bought it from the LBS at short notice when I noticed a cut in the old one, just before a ride with friends. It is absolutely huge and way too heavy. I'll keep it for emergency spare duties, and buy a smaller, lighter tyre.

Top Bottom