How do Garmins/GPSs cater for hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Some Garmon's have an option to set the wheel circumference, if that is set, then it would not matter as it counts revolutions

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I thought Garmin used a combination of highly sophisticated algorithms, highly detailed 3D mapping software, paired with super accurate GPS readings and then just guessed? :laugh:

Take what any gps records regarding altitude with a pinch of salt. The same type of device riding the same route can come up with different numbers.

My experience (Edge 810) is that the same route can produce wildly differing readings. On one route last summer I managed to cycle along for several miles at well below sea level. However today I've cycled the same road and Garmin assures me that it's 185m above sea level.
The internet (checking OS data) suggests it's actually 10m above sea level.
I'm going to assume that the OS is closer to the mark.

EDIT: just checked and my Edge 810 gives an elevation gain today of 514m. My mate (who was out on exactly the same ride with me) has a figure of 606m elevation gain recorded on his Edge 25. :wacko:

Last edited:
Problem with barometric altimeters is that they have to be calibrated. If you don't do this when you set off you are liable to get odd results.
My old geko needed to be calibrated but I think the newer garmin's have an auto calibrate. I usually ride to a meet point and reset the unit and that seems to avoid odd results but with the newer one I don't think I even need to do that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Edge 500 (which has a barometric altimeter) is hopeless for elevation. I have set an elevation point outside my front door so it always knows the true elevation when I set off. I did a short ride today (28 km with about 560 m of ascent) and the GPS was insisting that my house had sunk more than 10 metres by the time I got home!

The elevation point is loaded when I start logging the ride. Before I did that I had a very good satellite signal but the device thought it was 150 metres lower than it actually was.

My old Etrex does NOT have a barometric altimeter but its elevation readings tend to be more accurate (nearly always < 10 metres error and often < 5 metres).

Top Bottom