How do I adjust this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all,
I’m attempting a bike fit on my new to me bike and need to get the saddle to slope down. Trouble is the adjustment is a threaded nut arrangement that appears to be stuck solid. Short of removing the seat post and dismantling the saddle, any ideas?
Thanks

AFD5-A52-F-E310-459-D-9-A8-F-578314085-A85.jpg
photograph storage boxes high capacity

Hidden screw within the post itself if you remove it? Never seen anything like it before so only guessing.

CXRAndy

Guru
What saddle is it?

It looks like the nut winds the threaded shaft to raise or lower the saddle. If you then screw in the grub screw, you might be able to spin the nut down to to the bottom to lock position.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
What saddle is it?

It looks like the nut winds the threaded shaft to raise or lower the saddle. If you then screw in the grub screw, you might be able to spin the nut down to to the bottom to lock position.
It’s a B’Twin standard saddle that came with the bike

You need to loosen the rear bolt to allow some movement on the saddle, make the adjustment required on the adjuster in your picture, then tighten the rear bolt again.

You may have to do this a couple of times as tightening the rear bolt up again will slightly change the angle you’ve dialled in on the front one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Whoever designed that needs taking out and shooting.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
You need to loosen the rear bolt to allow some movement on the saddle, make the adjustment required on the adjuster in your picture, then tighten the rear bolt again.

You may have to do this a couple of times as tightening the rear bolt up again will slightly change the angle you’ve dialled in on the front one.
You’re right. Thank you. It’s the craziest thing I’ve seen though. As you adjust the bit it destroys itself.
It’s some kind of brittle metal. I’m thinking a new saddle will be in order

I had an adjuster like that on my Merida Ride.

Because I use the Selle Anatomica saddle, which has a long cutout down the centre, I was able to use an allen key in the top of the front adjuster.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I had an adjuster like that on my Merida Ride.

Because I use the Selle Anatomica saddle, which has a long cutout down the centre, I was able to use an allen key in the top of the front adjuster.
Yes that would work if there was a cut out. I took it apart and there’s an Allen key access on top of the bolt. Except you can’t access it through the saddle!

vickster

Legendary Member
You’re right. Thank you. It’s the craziest thing I’ve seen though. As you adjust the bit it destroys itself.
It’s some kind of brittle metal. I’m thinking a new saddle will be in order
Isn’t it a new seat post you need? Changing the saddle won’t rectify unless I’m missing something and there’s an issue with the saddle rails?

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Isn’t it a new seat post you need? Changing the saddle won’t rectify unless I’m missing something and there’s an issue with the saddle rails?
Sorry yes seat post. I’d noticed a small tear in the saddle when I typed the reply hence my comment. A new saddle and post will be the best thing

Top Bottom