How do I carry my bench vice on my new mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I noticed the other day that my new mountain bike appeared to have developed a slow puncture, I was in the garage working on one of my other bikes and had a spare five minutes(!) to fix it. The bike has tubeless ready tyres on tubeless ready rims but isn't tubeless. I suspected this might make the tyre harder to remove...

After the first five minutes of wrestling with it I went to look for some tyre levers. I can get all the tyres on all the other bikes at Celine Towers on and off with just my thumbs so it took another ten minutes to find some levers.

None of them would fit between the bead and the rim. After another five minutes wrestling I went to look on youtube for a possible solution.

After another ten minutes skipping through useless 'how to suck eggs' videos I finally came across this one-

I skipped the suggestion of spraying solvent on and went straight for the vice. This did work, it took a lot more force than shown in that video but no damage to either the tyre or the rim. Once the bead had freed from the rim I could get the rest of the first bead off easily with fingers and thumbs. I didn't need to get the other bead off but it appeared to be as stuck as the first one.

Puncture duly fixed but it made me think. If I need to a vice to get my tyres off, what's the best way to carry one so I can fix punctures at the roadside?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
On your riding partners rear rack ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just got a nice set of MTB wheels that are tubeless. I fitted tubeless rim tape, then just moved my Tubeless ready tyres and tubes straight over from my old wheels. They had left over talc on them and fitte by hand. I CBA with tubeless for the mess. Tubes work for me.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a set of tubeless ready wheels which are a royal pain to get tyres on therefore they are for local use only.

How about a jumbo sized tyre lever

Jameshow

Veteran

PapaZita

Guru
Some tubeless tyres do seem to lock rather tightly into the rim, and release with quite a ’ping’. I may have been lucky so far that I’ve always managed it with thumb pressure. Sometimes quite a lot of thumb pressure! If stuck at the roadside I might be tempted to try standing on the tyre, using a cleat or other hard-edged part of a cycling shoe, to mimic the action of the vice. On suitably soft ground, so as hopefully not to damage anything.

Top Bottom