How do I carry my bench vice on my new mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It would need to be a big one - they're big tyres (Vittoria Barzo 29 x 2.25).
G Clamp?

freiston

Veteran
You put a main tube of the frame in the jaws then tighten it up so that the vice will not fall off. If you have enough seat post showing, you could clamp that instead of the frame.
Thankfully, I've never needed to carry one on my bike.

Jameshow

Veteran
On a rack...

I've carried 8x4 sheets if ply on my bike whilst a student.

I'd love to make a rack based workbench with pannier sides holding tools and a workmate on the top.

A panel saw might be a bit of trouble but might fit in the main triangle on the pump stops. 🤔🤣🤔🤣

Tenkaykev

Guru
Are the Devil’s work

I vaguely remember fitting a solid tyre to the front wheel of my BSO somewhere back in the early 80's, not sure if it was Tannus, but it was yellow 😁
It was a very firm ride, and took all the resources of my workmates and our engineering workshop to get it on the rim. After a while it started coming off the rim while riding, and further investigation revealed that there was some sort of Nylon cord being used as a rim bead and this had broken.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have the same issue with the tyres on my MTB - they are WTB Ranger wire-beaded tyres on WTB i25 rims - no way they were coming off with levers and I don't have a vice. I did a similar YouTube search and found a technique that worked for me and may also work in the wild. It involves finding a log, bench, kerb or whatever that is solid with a pronounced edge. Lay the tyre/rim interface on the edge, stand on the tyre, grab the rim and pull upwards like a Bulgarian weightlifter. This got both tyres off and I refitted them easily enough with just levers. However I now have to get them off again and am putting it off because of this effort!

EDIT - I was dreading having a tyre issue in the wild - luckily it never happened until this week, where I was close enough to home to walk the last 200 yards after a deflation that I subsequently discovered would not be fixable without having to remove the tyre.

Top Bottom