How do I clean my helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
After the recent summer we had (we have two seasons here; winter and June), my helmet absolutely stinks. It's offensive to have in the house and I find myself automatically reaching for it ever time I go out on a bike. When the sweat builds up on the cushioning above the eyebrow area, it starts dripping down on my face and it is HORRIBLE! So here's my question for those knowledgeable bike aficionados on here; how do I clean it/wash the cushioning/getting rid of the Dame Judy, short of actually replacing it?

All help appreciated.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Simple as a bucket / sink of warm (Not hot) soapy water and plunge it in there a few times and rattle it about ( submerged) to make sure it flushes all the little places .... rinse under a cold tap or shower and hang to dry.

If the padding comes away, you can replace them for a few quid at your local LBS

Or even better still shower wearing it and kill two birds with one stone  :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
does it have removable pads? Most of the reek is in there, so take them out, put them in with the rest of your bike kit on wash day.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find the pads and straps are what stink. I find the pads in spesh helmets de laminate and fall apart if you wash them. So I bin the pads and wear a bandana or cycle cap under my helmet and these get washed with the rest of my kit. As for the straps, every few rides the helmet (now sans pads) comes in the shower with me and the straps get scrubbed with soap/shower gel/whatever and a nail brush. Quick rinse. job done.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I find the pads and straps are what stink. I find the pads in spesh helmets de laminate and fall apart if you wash them. So I bin the pads and wear a bandana or cycle cap under my helmet and these get washed with the rest of my kit. As for the straps, every few rides the helmet (now sans pads) comes in the shower with me and the straps get scrubbed with soap/shower gel/whatever and a nail brush. Quick rinse. job done.

That sounds a good idea. I ride every day though and only have the one helmet so don't get the chance to dry it out. The straps are white with baked on salt! I've rinsed it off but it can't get in to the fibres so the white residue re-appears once it dries in the fast moving air (on moving bike) the following day and looks as bad as ever at the finish. I think another helmet might be necessary and then I can have one washed and drying while I wear the other.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I chuck it in the shower once a week (usually friday) and the soap/shampoo suds do the rest. Quick rince then shove in the airing cupboard as it lets the webbing dry out. The helmet is over 12 months old, and doesn't smell.

PS I use a skull cap as well to soak up sweat.

As it's a mess now, give it a good scrub, over the weekend to get the crap out of the webbing.

As for pads de-laminating...a tiny blob of super glue can fix them if you are being tight !!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
LOL,, that must be the safest shower session in history....

Fabreeze :biggrin:.... i just leave mine smelling, lets you know your doing some work

And gives rise to one of the greatest misunderstandings in my married life "Yes love I'm just washing my helmet":biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That sounds a good idea. I ride every day though and only have the one helmet so don't get the chance to dry it out. The straps are white with baked on salt! I've rinsed it off but it can't get in to the fibres so the white residue re-appears once it dries in the fast moving air (on moving bike) the following day and looks as bad as ever at the finish. I think another helmet might be necessary and then I can have one washed and drying while I wear the other.

I'm suppossed to bike commute five days a week (been a crap year with injury ill health and lack of a postivie mental attitude). I don't generally tend to wear a helmet when riding for fun of a weekend but my club 'encourages' their use. If I wash the straps Friday evening they are dry for Sunday morning.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm surprised nobody's come on yet to tell you to do away with a helmet as they increase safety.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

This is also one of the few times that a grown man can get away with the 'pirate' look, though the eye patch can inhibit your vision a bit

g00se

Veteran
You can pick up spare/replacement pads for a few quid on Wiggle/CRC - so you could hand wash the pads (if they're going to de-laminate in the machine) and use the spares as they dry.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is also one of the few times that a grown man can get away with the 'pirate' look, though the eye patch can inhibit your vision a bit

MacB look at my avatar/profile pic. Can I really claim to be getting away with it? chortle, chortle.

Top Bottom