How do I get to Clapham? (London to Brighton charity ride)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnstormer

Hi, is their anyone travelling from Watford Junction to the start line at Clapham for the London to Brighton charity ride on the 29th June. Can't afford a cab all the way so if anyone knows the best rail route there, please share it with me, cheers guys, Barnstormer

Shaun

Founder
I've moved this here as it's not really advertising a charity ride and it will get more "eyes" on it ...

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

Cheers,
Shaun :ohmy:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You can catch a train from Watford, it is the Southern service that goes via kensington Olympia to Clapham Junction . It is not far from there. Check the train times though. Failing that, catch the local service to Euston and either cycle to Victoria for the train to clapham, not far, or to the common, 45mins maybe.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that train will be rammed, so turn up early for the first one.

When you get to Clapham Junction you should be able to follow the crowd, but, just in case....

go out of the station at the barrier close to platform 17. Watford trains come in to platforms 2 or 17.

Go straight through the concourse and you'll see a Caffe Nero. Go out on to the street and go to your left, but at the Arding and Hobbs traffic lights just a little way down the road, go right

Having turned right go on to the first crossroads and turn left at the traffic lights up a bit of a rise.

When you get in to the one way system, filter right, and , having turned, just go straight across the common. Traffic in the oneway system can be a bit rapid, so keep your wits about you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Take into account that bikes are not allowed on the trains back from Brighton, the company will not allow you onto the station even.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
Take into account that bikes are not allowed on the trains back from Brighton, the company will not allow you onto the station even.

Wow - how do people get home then?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
zimzum42 said:
Wow - how do people get home then?
with difficulty. They used to run old rolling stock that was stuffed with bikes, but now they just tell you to go away. The A23 is rammed with cars with roofracks and Luton vans going north. Some people head east to Eastbourne, Seaford or Hastings, or west to Hove and Worthing, and hope for the best. Or there's always the return ride, but that's way beyond a lot of the riders.

I'm trying to blag extra space on the trains coming up to London in the late evening of the 3rd September and it's like walking through treacle while simultaneously bashing your head against a brick wall.

HeyWayne

trustysteed said:
not exactly a motivator to bother doing this L2B ride, is it?

Of all the things L2B related - getting there (Clapham) and back from Brighton are my two biggest concerns. Not overly worried about the ride itself (no, honestly, I'm not), but it's the travel/logistics aggro that bother me.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I wouldn't do it... Bugger paying for a hotel or camping or anything like that. Wouldn't want to take a coach, would be worried about bike being damaged in the hold and hate coaches anyway. And can't expect someone to drive to brighton just to bring m back to London

retarded decision really. Think of the money they could make running extra services that day! 20000+ people stuck in Brighton. jokers...

people keep asking me if i want to do the L2B. i can't see any valid reason why i would want to do a ride that's shorter than my weekend long rides and go through all that cost and logistic aggro for what exactly?

Top Bottom