How do I increase the clearance on rear rim brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw a few mm off the brake blocks ?
That's not the issue

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As the width of the blocks decrease the underside of the calliper raises slightly. You can check this on a side pull brake by removing the wheel, undoing the cable and squeezing the blocks together. As you squeeze you’ll see the underside of the bridge raising slightly. This is what I assume @DaveReading was meaning.
The increased clearance would be small.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Probably not. The hub will be 135mm OLD (so not fit). Just put a 25 on the rear; and ride.
https://www.merlincycles.com/contin...ing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=61283&source=PHG
Save the wider/deeper 28 for the front, when it's needed next year YMMV.
Though personally I've had bad experience with Giant tyres so would not fit. Last one on the rear I foolishly left on (after the front had failed (sidewall)) failed on me in the same way at about 680km into an end-to-end, short of Lancaster.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
The wheel from my other bike currently has conti gp5000. But has a disc brake. Will it fit even just to see the clearance?
You could perhaps just stand the bikes side by side and use a spirit level to span the tops of both wheels. If there is a significant difference, it might show up.
Good luck

I've got Conti Supersonics (20mm) on one of my bikes. I bet would have sufficient clearance :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just take the tyre off the other bike and put it on this wheel?! Hopefully the effort is worth satisfying your curiosity. Although, as said a few times just put narrower tyres on is the easiest fix.

presta

Guru
I'll try narrower tyres.

I just checked and the current giant tyres are 28mm and look bigger than the 28mm conti gp5000 I have on another bike. I'll get some 25mm continental and hope for the best.
Bear in mind that tyre width tolerance is ±3mm, so you could find that an oversize 25mm is bigger than an undersize 28mm. Here's the difference in size between a pair of my Marathons that are both nominally 35mm:

Top Bottom