How do I know if this is a genuine good deal, thanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thrakaa92

45ADDA6F-A3E4-423C-92D5-D14825D1FFA7.png
8C0EB0D6-FE62-4961-9F50-B28B44E638F8.png
2F1410DD-4920-4462-B58D-0E27092D6A83.png
hi guys, I’m not up to speed with all the specs and bits when it comes to buying so would love some help, I’ve always wanted a fixed wheel since my grandad told me he had one growing up and I’ve seen one I liked the look of! How do I know it’s a good deal and is genuine and not just had decals on the frame stuck on?

The description it gives me is that it has mavic wheels, strong light aero crankset but doesn’t say anything about the Reynolds frame

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's got a rather short wheelbase, so is unlikely to be a "gas pipe special" made for everyday utility riding. Frames like that have sporting geometry and tend to be made of lightweight materials.The odds are it will be made of butted Reynolds tubing, as per the decals. The seatpost diameter can often tell you what a frame may be made from, in the absence of any stickers. Low grade gas pipe frames generally use a 1" diameter seatpost, thinner wall lightweight tubes have a correspondingly larger diameter. As to whether it's a good deal or not, that depends entirely on the asking price, and your perception of good value. Old steel bikes are currently unloved and cheap in real terms, especially in relation to their cost when new. If you're savvy, you can geneally buy good quality stuff for mere pennies in the pound of their original cost.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Thrakaa92 i myself have been looking at that exact bike for a good couple of weeks and can't make my mind up

If it had a full groupset on rather than being single speed then it would be an easier decision for me , Mick Ives is a well known cyclist yes but can't see anything about him making or selling bikes so not sure where the connection is , from messaging the seller he is not shouting about it either .

But all said and done nice bike clean condition and if you want a single speed then yeah go for it or if you are still not sure trundle down to Northamptonshire and i can quite happliy show you a couple of similar priced geared bikes that i have for sale or for a bit more i have Meet Woody the Woodrup

OP
OP
T

Thrakaa92

@SkipdiverJohn @biggs682 Thank you for the replies guys, @biggs682 that is crazy that you’ve been looking at the same bike! I’ve messaged the seller and got him to do it for £170 But just wanted some more opinions on it first

I’ve googled ‘mike ives fixed wheel’ and pictures come up of the bike that the seller has put on gumtree but there’s quite a few pics with the same frame with different handle bars and bits which seemed weird to me but I was probably just overthinking!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I remember Mick Ives. I think he's still with us. He raced for the Saracen Racing Team. I had a Saracen and also raced at that time so sort of followed him and the others back when Gould and Baker ruled supreme.

I wonder if it would be one of his old training or race bikes?

OP
OP
T

Thrakaa92

I remember Mick Ives. I think he's still with us. He raced for the Saracen Racing Team. I had a Saracen and also raced at that time so sort of followed him and the others back when Gould and Baker ruled supreme.

I wonder if it would be one of his old training or race bikes?
That would be pretty awesome if it were

raleighnut

Legendary Member
£170

Is that a good price? Thanks for the reply
Depends where you are in the country, seems a very London 'hipster' price to me.

OP
OP
T

Thrakaa92

Spoke abit more to the seller and he seems a very nice chap who’s into his cycling

He said he got it off a lady who used to date a guy who raced for mick ives and when they broke up she kept the bike. It was a road bike but he’s changed it into a fixed wheel since he was given it

He also mention that he went into mick ives shop and spoke to him and told him about the bike but he didn’t seem very pleased that he had it so I imagine the chap who raced for him was not supposed to keep it

Top Bottom