Meet Woody the Woodrup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well i am not sure why but when i saw this on e bay a couple of weeks ago i liked it but thought it was overpriced , so 2 weeks later and a bit of haggling its now mine .
Original lilac paintwork should come up ok ish the chrome on the rear triangle is shot apart frm the track end so not sure what i will do there .
Built in 73 ish according to Woodrups when i contacted them with the frame number

woodrup.jpg
woodrup1.jpg

midlife

Guru
Well that's bang on for an early 70's track bike :smile: The flam (flamboyant) finish which was sooooo popular back then seems to have survived, pity the chrome hasn't lasted the course intact but at least the most important bit of chrome for a track bike has..................The dropouts and the all important chromed fork crown. No self respecting track bike left the builders without a chrome fork crown :biggrin:

It actually looks like a real bike built for the track with the high bottom bracket and almost parallel chain stays, bikes built for the road with track ends often had a bit more fork rake and a lower bottom bracket to help with getting around roundabouts and corners.

A british Classic :biggrin:

Shaun

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @midlife Yes fork crown and lower half have survived very well as have the outer faces of the rear drop outs

not sure what to do on rear triangle tempted to leave as rechroming is silly money but will see

The first thing my father noticed was its upright stance rather than laid back touring geometry and seeing as he used to race at the " Butts" in Coventry he should know .

Oh yes, I really like your "Woody" lol.
That's a serious lack of rake on those forks!
Shame about the chrome damage, but I instantly love everything about this bike (apart from its lack of gears maybe, but at least it's supposed not to have them!).

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice! Bet you're looking forward to taking that one for a spin once it's ready :smile: Looks like it will be a lively ride!
yes but i think it will be a while yet

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That is a large frame previously owned by someone it was too big for judging by the amount of seat post showing.

the picture was taken with both seat post and quill stem left in the just been checked to make sure they were not stuck in the frame position before being transported home .

its meant to be a 23" frame but must admit not put the tape measure near it yet

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update on Woody been a bit slow but the paintwork has nearly got to a stage of acceptance just need a bit more elbow grease.

Just removed the bottom bracket innards ready for a visit to Lee Cooper on Saturday to get his suggestion re the lack of chrome on the rear stays .

WP_20160106_001.jpg
WP_20160106_003.jpg

Top Bottom