Meet Woody the Woodrup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
After a fair period of time Woody is very close to being rideable ^_^

IMG_20180630_154852471.jpg
IMG_20180630_154900070.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well first 2 mile road test just done and it rode well .

IMG_20180702_211022713.jpg

With 42 x 18 freewheel felt nice and relaxed .

Once I have done a few more miles I will pull the chain up .

wonderdog

Niggles adjusted so a gentle ride around Wellingborough to check them out.

View attachment 417597

All sorted so hopefully I can start to do a few more miles on this fine looking machine .
That looks marvellous - plus it's one of the best "bike up against a gate - or door as the case may be" pix I've seen in a while. In Oz, we sadly lack anything of such vintage to lean our bikes against. We were 230 years old in terms of European settlement at the start of this year.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I couldn't find a stem short enough with the correct size for the Cinelli curvaceous track bars so had to use this set up .

IMG_20180707_055342978.jpg

Gave this machine a 29 mile ride this morning and it all feels good .

Thanks @wonderdog i think it's more of a door than a gate and i am not sure what the building actually is or was it's just local to the centre of Wellingborough
"The old Free School-house stands to the north-west of the parish church and is a large two-story building of ironstone with mullioned windows, red-tiled roofs, and two gables on the principal or south front towards the churchyard: on the north side it faces directly on to Church Street. The building was restored in 1904, since when it has been used as a Church House. A sundial on one of the gables is dated 1621. (fn. 4) Over the doorway on the south front is a panel inscribed: 'Edward Pickering of Swasey in the county of Cambridge Esqr one of the sons of Sr John Pickering, late of Tichmarsh in this county Kt. and Barnt. ano Dni, 1682 gave to this Free school 130L for the advancemt. of learning— Aspice, Respice, fac simile.' Adjoining this on the right is a second panel, (fn. 5) with the inscription: 'Richard Fisher of Wellingborough gent, gave to the schoolmasters of this place £15 per an. for the further encouragement of Learning Ano Dni 1711', and beneath both a third panel inscribed:
[PHILOMATHESI] multum debeo
Barberis autem nihil"

For you history buffs amongst us :smile:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/northants/vol4/pp135-146

wonderdog

"The old Free School-house stands to the north-west of the parish church and is a large two-story building of ironstone with mullioned windows, red-tiled roofs, and two gables on the principal or south front towards the churchyard: on the north side it faces directly on to Church Street. The building was restored in 1904, since when it has been used as a Church House. A sundial on one of the gables is dated 1621. (fn. 4) Over the doorway on the south front is a panel inscribed: 'Edward Pickering of Swasey in the county of Cambridge Esqr one of the sons of Sr John Pickering, late of Tichmarsh in this county Kt. and Barnt. ano Dni, 1682 gave to this Free school 130L for the advancemt. of learning— Aspice, Respice, fac simile.' Adjoining this on the right is a second panel, (fn. 5) with the inscription: 'Richard Fisher of Wellingborough gent, gave to the schoolmasters of this place £15 per an. for the further encouragement of Learning Ano Dni 1711', and beneath both a third panel inscribed:
[PHILOMATHESI] multum debeo
Barberis autem nihil"

For you history buffs amongst us :smile:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/northants/vol4/pp135-146
Reading further, one finds "Dr. Edmund Distin Maddick, C.B.E., whose son, Major Edmund Cecil Strafford Byng-Maddick, is now lord of the manors of Wellingborough." This probably explains The Goons character Hercules Grytpype-Thynne and the apparent need, where pronounceable, to replace "i" with "y" in the business of distinguished lineage.

Top Bottom