How do I know what tyres to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The rims will give you a figure, then look at Sheldon brown website. 700c is standard road bike wheel size, the rim will help determine the max and min width in mm

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ignore the old fashioned inch or 700c markings. Look for three digit and two digit numbers with a dash between them and that's the ISO/ETRTO size which is the most reliable way of matching. You can vary the two digit width a little usually if you want (wider is smoother but too wide might foul your guards or frame) but not the three digit diameter.

alicat

Legendary Member
Ignore the old fashioned inch or 700c markings. Look for three digit and two digit numbers with a dash between them and that's the ISO/ETRTO size which is the most reliable way of matching. You can vary the two digit width a little usually if you want (wider is smoother but too wide might foul your guards or frame) but not the three digit diameter.

By the way, these markings are on the existing tyre not the rim. You don't have to have the same width as @mjray says.

Reactions: mjr

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
All road tyres will be 700c which is the diameter of the the rim. The width of the tyre will be 23, 25, 28 up to a wide tyres for hybreds and tourers which can go up to 32. This will be marked on the tyres you have at the moment. There may also be a different size marked on your tyre. Say your size is 700c x 28, this may also be shown as 28x622. What tyres do you run at the moment, and what kind of riding do you do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
emac1ennan

emac1ennan

Just managed to make out they are 700 x 23c.

Just arranged to buy a pair of vittoria zaffiro at 700 x 28c. Any body got knowledge of them?

U

User6179

Just managed to make out they are 700 x 23c.

Just arranged to buy a pair of vittoria zaffiro at 700 x 28c. Any body got knowledge of them?

Make sure you have a frame that can take a 28c tyre , most road bikes dont have the clearance .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All road tyres will be 700c which is the diameter of the the rim. The width of the tyre will be 23, 25, 28 up to a wide tyres for hybreds and tourers which can go up to 32.
My bike shed disagrees with you. The road bike is currently 28-630 (which used to be pretty common, along with 32-630) and I've also road tyres in 590 and 622 diameters, including a hybrid on 37-622s. Check, don't assume.

They seemed OK but the ones in our shed cut up easily and have been replaced by Vittoria Rubinos.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My bike shed disagrees with you. The road bike is currently 28-630 (which used to be pretty common, along with 32-630) and I've also road tyres in 590 and 622 diameters, including a hybrid on 37-622s. Check, don't assume.

How modern a bike has these size tyres on? I doubt whether a modern road bike will have any other size on other than a 700c. My Galaxy from 1974 has 27 inch wheels which would be would 630 but are not normally sold by any mainstream bike shop these days. The Op was for a modern giant bike.

OP
OP
emac1ennan

emac1ennan

Sorry inthe late. The 28s went on no problem and make a huge difference. Thanks for all the advice huys

Top Bottom