How do i make my flapjack softer ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RAYMOND

My flapjacks last a few weeks in a tub..just aswell as I make about 20 squares.
They are also firm but not hard, I only put them in the fridge for 1 hour to set the chocolate covering.
If yours are too hard then your probably flattening them down too much, I use the side of a knife to
flatten mine.

Now here's a thing ...yesterday I went started making a batch but had run short on the main ingredient ...the oats!! So rather than pop down to the shop and get some more, I improvised by adding crushed weetabix ;))

All mixed up looked ok albeit a tad dryer mix than usual and into the oven they went. Being of positive mind I thought I might have come up with a superior recipe. But no it wasn't. Unless you want your flapjacks to taste like a well know breakfast cereal I would advise against this. I have 20 or so to eat and I'm sure they will get eaten, but they're not quite the same ;(

NorvernRob

Plenty of butter and plenty of golden syrup, chewy and soft as you like! It's all about the cooking time other than that, too long and it will go hard at the edges.

You can freeze it too, I always wrap squares in cling film and freeze them seperately. They'll last at least a couple of weeks like that, probably a lot longer.

Kins

Über Member
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/techniquessubstitutions/a/nobutterbaking.htm

I tend to use half oil half butter in my recipes and/or use crushed fruit.

Out of interest cherries are cheap in Tesco atm, so bought a few punnets to add to next lot of Jacks. I also sometimes make them with 2/3rds oats and 1/3 muesli if I have no fruit or dried fruit kickin about.

I also roll mine out and use a cutter so they are round and individual.

sheffgirl

I made flapjack with honey instead of golden syrup before, and added some banana and ground almond. Tasty and soft, not sure about transporting it in ones pocket though, I put it in a biscuittin and took it to work. it was wll received :smile:

Top Bottom