How do I re-build / service hubs, what do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Howdo,

I've got some 27 inch wheels which need a spoke replacing, they also could do with some TLC, I don't think they are sealed hubs, they don't look it.

What do I need to service the hubs in terms of parts and working out the sizings if parts need replacing?

The bike is a Raleigh Carlton, although I have little way of knowing if the wheels are original or not.

Thanks

Nibor

Bewildered
replacement balls of the correct size LBS should be able to advise, good quality grease and a pair of cone spanners.

Probably some WD40 to clean out solidified grease and free up the thread of the broken spoke and any other spokes that need adjusting.
Ball bearings come in different grades. Grade 25 is good for quality hubs.
The cones may be pitted so need replacing. You need to find one of the correct axle thread and outer diameter so it fits. Unsealed hubs are not too fussy on precise outer diameter.

Gunk

Guru
My kit for this sort of job is some degreaser to just firstly clean it all, fine wet and dry and/or fine wire wool to really get everything spotless and super smooth, and a big tub of Castrol LM grease which will last for years. I’ve got a huge stock of mixed ball bearings which are really cheap if bought in bulk.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I think this is is just a dust seal that's come adrift / broken?

Behind it I can see the bearings, but they're sitting in place happily (I'd been worried about poking it incase it all fell out! )

Might I get away with just cleaning everything, re-greasing and wanging a new dust seal in place?

IMG_2364.JPG

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The ball bearings can't escape from a hub unless the cones are grossly maladjusted or enough of the balls have disintegrated to allow the axle to flop around in the hub bore. By the time a bearing gets to that stage it would be very obvious to the rider, and you would have the wheel rims rubbing on the brakes as they wobbled around.

Top Bottom