How do I remove an old shimano freehub body?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ronster

Hi I'm trapped in north east Africa with a kaput freehub and can't get the old one off. According to YouTube there are three ways and the one I have should just pull off now I've removed the cassette and bearings. But it won't move. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ron

si_c

Guru
Try a 10mm allen wrench.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Can also be 14mm and possibly other sizes. The hub is built into a wheel, I assume? It's quite difficult to remove the freehub otherwise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's a generic hub, you might need an 11 or 12mm hex key from the non-drive size (MrsF's hybrid did, and I'd never used an 11 or 12mm hex before, so had to order them).

Not many freehubs just pop off - my MTB does, but that involves removing end caps etc.

Screw freewheel or freehub with cassette.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJ3taJHOn8

weareHKR

Received two of these freewheel removers in a bike parts box some time ago, obviously cheap ones as they virtually round off when extreme leverage was needed to undo the freewheel.
Immediately ordered the Park Tool FR-1.3, absolute no brainer, removed the freewheel without so much as a scratch!
If you're gonna buy one buy the best (in my opinion) :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A lot of aftermarket removers are neither UG nor HG, but something in between. They often work for freewheels and cassettes. A real UG freewheel tool is slightly smaller than HG but looks identical.

Top Bottom