How do I remove Mavic Freehub bushing from freehub body?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have already changed the wheel bearings in my Mavic Cosmic SLS and it still makes a noise when pedaling around 20mph. I have read that the bushings on Mavic freehubs are rubbish, but the one on mine doesnt look removable. There is no way to get a tool behind it to push it out. Any ideas?

Putting another wheel on the back solves the noise issue so its definitely the Mavic rear wheel.

Are you referring to the while plastic bushing at the big end?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's the same as my Mavic Ksyrium SLs, it's blindingly simple. Pop off the end-cap and shield on the non-drive side. Pick it up from the floor and clean it. Put a mahoosive hex key down the hole and a smaller one down the drive side axle and unscrew. The axle will separate into two and you will drop at least one bit on the floor. Carefully lift off the freehub while turning it backwards. Take great care not to lose the washer that's lying between the freehub and the small hub bearing you see. Carefully remove the two pawls and springs and clean them. Clean up the plain boss on which the freehub rotates, removing the black rubber seal and cleaning that up. Push the seal back on, replace the pawls and springs, oil everything with 3 in 1 oil and slip the freehub back on while turning it backwards, then remember the small washer, take the freehub off and replace it. Tighten the axle, replace the end cap and feel happy.

You will be surprised at the simplicity of the system and worried at the black colour of the old oil. Don't be tempted to use a heavier oil, all that happens will be that the freehub will drag while freewheeling and your chain will sag. Once that plain boss gets worn the freehub will begin to oscillate madly on it making a howling noise, commonly known as the "Mavic howl of death." That's why you need to disassemble it and lubricate it every 6 months.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The white bushing sort of clips in - I prised the old one off with a flat headed screwdriver and then pushed the new one in (which went in with a click).

However I needed a new bushing because it had worn and there was play in the freehub. If there is no play then clean as above or see http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Mavic_hub_How-To_4006.html

ps - You could just cut it with a Stanley knife if you are not going to use the bushing again.

Last edited:

Will Spin

Über Member
The 'Mavic howl of death'. I do like that. I wonder why people buy them?
Probably because it doesn't manifest itself until you have done a couple of thousand miles on the wheels. Anyway apart from that I've found them to be good wheels and with proper maintenance the howl of death can be cured.

U

User6179

Had about 7/8 pairs of mavic wheels and only had the howl of death once , I never put the free hub back on correctly and the pawls were touching the plastic bush causing the howl .

OP
OP
U

User16625

Small update: I re-serviced the hub based on the advice here. I had previously taken the hub apart but what I would never have thought to do was the bit about taking the rubber thing off behind where the freehub body sits:

84841-largest_1_Mavic_remove_rubber_ring.jpg

Relubed that, and around where it is inserted into the wheel. Since I done this bit I have went for a short sharp test ride. The noise seems to have gone now. The same test that produced the noise didnt this time. I havent had, and wont have a chance to take it for a proper ride until later this week to see if the problem is solved. I also had to make do with the lube I had which isnt the mineral oil. Thanks for the posts!

I do feel the noise will return on my next ride but hopefully not.

Small update: I re-serviced the hub based on the advice here. I had previously taken the hub apart but what I would never have thought to do was the bit about taking the rubber thing off behind where the freehub body sits:

View attachment 350174

Relubed that, and around where it is inserted into the wheel. Since I done this bit I have went for a short sharp test ride. The noise seems to have gone now. The same test that produced the noise didnt this time. I havent had, and wont have a chance to take it for a proper ride until later this week to see if the problem is solved. I also had to make do with the lube I had which isnt the mineral oil. Thanks for the posts!

I do feel the noise will return on my next ride but hopefully not.
No it won't. That's the right procedure to service that seal. Preferably use a tenacious oil like Hypoid for longer life. You can scrounge 5ml of hypoid oil off your friendly car mechanic. I'm sure if you go there with a teensy little container he/she will gladly give you some.

BTW, a very snooty Mavic distributor once pointed out that I should refer that that little bit of hub as the hub's nose.

I disliked Mavic so much I thought I should use another piece of anatomy to refer to it.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Dam it the symptoms are still there! Went for a MTB ride instead. Really piste off and fed up now. Will take it to a bike shop to have it assessed professionally.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've used sewing machine oil or hair clipper oil fed into the back of the cassette (with a hypodermic) with it still on the wheel as a temporary fix.

keithmac

Guru
Hypoid is nice and sticky, I use this on all the pivots when servicing the motorbikes.

Quite satisfying lubing a seized side stand pivot..

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The white bushing sort of clips in - I prised the old one off with a flat headed screwdriver and then pushed the new one in (which went in with a click).

However I needed a new bushing because it had worn and there was play in the freehub.

ps - You could just cut it with a Stanley knife if you are not going to use the bushing again.

Where did you get the white bush from? i can't find one anywhere.

Top Bottom