How do I select a replacement wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schmuck_on_Wheels

Sorry for such an embarrassing question but...

I have a 2016 Whyte 901. I noticed last night that the rear wheel rim has a large crack so will need replacing.

Whyte do not appear to supply replacement wheels so I guess I need to buy a compatable wheel.

Unfortunately the only information I can find about the wheel is that it is a Whyte Trail 21 Offset Disc rim, 32 Hole.

The freewheel takes an SRAM 10 speed cartridge and the brake disc is an SRAM DB 3, 160mm Rotor.

Could anyone advise what I should be looking for or am I best taking the knackered wheel to a Whyte stockists?

Cheers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Through axel or quick release?

It will be a standard Shimano compatible hub. SRAM and shimano used same hubs until 11/12 speed when Sram brought out XD hubs

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It looks like a quick release, most likely 135mm. Get a ruler out and measure the gap. Front is 15mm through axel 100mm width.

Pop the rear wheel out. If you've got to unscrew an axel like at the front, then its through axel, most likely 142mm x 12 mm

OP
OP
S

Schmuck_on_Wheels

It looks like a quick release, most likely 135mm. Get a ruler out and measure the gap. Front is 15mm through axel 100mm width.

Pop the rear wheel out. If you've got to unscrew an axel like at the front, then its through axel, most likely 142mm x 12 mm

It's a quick release.

If I need to order a third party wheel which dimensions do I need to supply?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should just remove it and run it down to your LBS and ask them if they can lace on a new rim or they might have a complete wheel at a reasonable price. Alternatively you could probably find one for sale on eBay for about the fifty quid mark.
If you buy the wheel and change it yourself you'll need a few tools.
Is it centre or six bolt disc?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Schmuck_on_Wheels

I should just remove it and run it down to your LBS and ask them if they can lace on a new rim or they might have a complete wheel at a reasonable price. Alternatively you could probably find one for sale on eBay for about the fifty quid mark.
If you buy the wheel and change it yourself you'll need a few tools.
Is it centre or six bolt disc?

Six bolt I believe.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Rear will be 135 as its qr, after looking,

If you go new wheels they usually have adapters, so check for QR as most are 142-148 now with through axle.

Tom B

Guru
I'm after pretty much.the some thing.

I suggested to CR, Wiggle and Tredz a few months ago they need improve the searchabilty / filtering of their wheels section. It's just not user friendly.

In the ending went to the LBS who is able to source a wheel for about the same price as anything online and he'll swap the tyre and cassette for me.

Top Bottom