How do I tell what cassette is fitted on my 11 speed road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Can anyone tell me how to establish what gearing the cassette has?

If it’s cleaned up you can usually see the numbers stamped on the sprockets. Failing that, bit laborious, but count the number of teeth.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know what your reason might be. Order a new cassette?
Maybe you want to work out the gear inches, in which case there are online calculators.

Maybe you want to work out the gear inches, in which case there are online calculators.
I have a quote from a cycle shop for a new (shimano) chain & cassette if required due to slipping in the top 3 gears. Cassette £55, chain £35 and the labour to fit the pair £25

The main thing I want to discuss is the cassette. The guy explained that I don't have to fit the same cassette that is on, and I could have a higher or lower geared cassette. I don't really use the lowest gear, and only use the next to lowest occasionally on some hills

So, if the current cassette is worn I would want the bottom 2 gears to be a bit higher. So what cassette do I need?

I guess this can only be answered when I have established what cassette is on the bike.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK, so the only teeth you need to count is the largest sprocket's and the smallest's. The cassette will be 11-28 (say).
If you look on the calculator I shared and click on the "Cogs" dropdown, that shows the 11sp cassettes, so IF 11-28, go for 11-25. The second largest sprocket on an 11-28 is likely a 25t. If you don't spin out (actually wanting to pedal at 35mph+) normally, then you could choose a 12-25 (there's a 105 one).
HTH
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...23,25,28&UF=2150&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

I've never worked out my gear inches just know what cassette I need, which seems to get bigger year by year!🤣🤣🤣

Lee_M

Guru
That sounds like the perfect cassette. Always having one more gear to drop into is the ideal.

Agreed, I always find it funny when people worry about having an 11 or 12 tooth cog. Unless you're a pro racer then when you run out of gears then you're generally going downhill, so freewheel and have a rest

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Agreed, I always find it funny when people worry about having an 11 or 12 tooth cog. Unless you're a pro racer then when you run out of gears then you're generally going downhill, so freewheel and have a rest
Yeah, but don't you know most on are pro racers ^_^

Top Bottom