How do I tell what cassette is fitted on my 11 speed road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
So it costs £115 to change chain and cassette now? Wow.

No wonder fixed and single speeds are so popular!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In this particular instance yes. The labour charge seems very reasonable, the cassette in the range I would expect to pay though I think the chain sounds expensive. I think I'd expect to pay £100 at my LBS.

Aye... recently for a cassette I've paid anything between £20 (HG400 9sp) and £55 (11sp HG700) - that's the cheapest I can find and doubtless cheaper than most LBS. Obviously some cassettes are a lot more expensive (for really tarty groupsets / the dreaded 1x).

Middling chains are typically £15-25, more posh stuff again a load more.

I have little experience of labour rates but I'd reckon maybe an half an hour to an hour to change those bits so £25 doesn't seem unreasonable.

D

Deleted member 121159

Aye... recently for a cassette I've paid anything between £20 (HG400 9sp) and £55 (11sp HG700) - that's the cheapest I can find and doubtless cheaper than most LBS. Obviously some cassettes are a lot more expensive (for really tarty groupsets / the dreaded 1x).

Middling chains are typically £15-25, more posh stuff again a load more.

I have little experience of labour rates but I'd reckon maybe an half an hour to an hour to change those bits so £25 doesn't seem unreasonable.

I just typed 'Shimano 11 speed cassette' in the searchbox and a few sites are selling one for £35-38. Sram 11spd cassette going for £32 and Wiggle has a Sram 11 speed chain for £6 at the moment. Obviously one can go even cheaper with Chinese or Taiwanese made components, i.e., Tifosi 11 speed cassette for £15 & Microshift for £30.

wafter

I just typed 'Shimano 11 speed cassette' in the searchbox and a few sites are selling one for £35-38. Sram 11spd cassette going for £32 and Wiggle has a Sram 11 speed chain for £6 at the moment. Obviously one can go even cheaper with Chinese or Taiwanese made components, i.e., Tifosi 11 speed cassette for £15 & Microshift for £30.

Depends what spec you buy; find me an 11-34 HG700 for less than £55 from a reputable source and I'll eat your hat.

wafter

Depends what spec you buy; find me an 11-34 HG700 for less than £55 from a reputable source and I'll eat your hat.

Actually after a quick search it does seem they've come down a bit (which would figure given the way the market's going)..

vickster

Legendary Member

£48.49 for 11-32 SRAM though

vickster

Legendary Member
DIY...
Cassette £15
Chain £10

Two of the easiest jobs to do on a bike.

Where can you get a new genuine 11 speed 11-32 cassette for £15? The Tifosi one on Wiggle has poor reviews on quality and compatibility, two basic things for bike parts.
A SRAM or Shimano one is the thick end of £50

Last edited:
Top Bottom