How do I tighten my front brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Not the pads on the rim, but the whole assembly.

It is loose and rocking around on its spindle, where it is mounted to the frame.

I've made a video to help you answer the question! I know it's not clear and I don't have sound on my camera, otherwise I would give a running commentary.

I have tried a spanner on the bolt that I point to first, but it doesn't want to to turn. I wonder, do I have to completely remove the nut and bolt that I point to second in order to remove the front caliper so I can get to and tighten the bolt that I point to third? (mostly hidden by the front caliper).

See here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46310695@N02/4522989791/?processed=1&cb=1271345582192

Many thanks!

Bruce

This is a wind up isnt it, you are a senior member of a cycling forum, and you a) dont know this, or :laugh: dont have the acumen to work out the other end of the bolt is clearly aroung the back of the forks with a socket head (allen key) on it, on which case you shouldnt be buggering around with safety critical equipment like brakes!

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't see the back of the fork in that but every caliper brake I have ever worked on has a long bolt that goes through the fork and is tightened from behind, in your case probably by an allen key or a normal nut on older bikes.

Mark_Robson

tyred said:
I can't see the back of the fork in that but every caliper brake I have ever worked on has a long bolt that goes through the fork and is tightened from behind, in your case probably by an allen key or a normal nut on older bikes.
+1

Also the video is of some German girls doing funny things with rubber truncheons :laugh:

Take off the wheel and have a look up the fork if you think that its all internal.

tyred

Legendary Member
XmisterIS said:
No, no bolt behind the fork. Completely internal.

:laugh:

Turn the bike upside down and remove the wheel and see if there is a nut inside the steerer.

Is there a hole at the back of the fork? Could the nut have come loose and dropped off?

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Nope, there's just a little circular box-type thing into which I presume the allen bolt behind the front calliper is bolted. The box has a back to it and so I believe it must contain a built-in nut.

Sorry, I should have made all that clear at the start to discourage Mr Aggressive Bruce from biting my head off! I can almost see the mouth-foam ... :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Any way of tightening it from the very front (flat screwdriver possibly)? You would probably need to take the wheel out and squeeze the arms together to get at the front of the bolt.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

I've tried that, but the calipers don't move enough to allow access to the bolt head, even with the brake cable slackened off. I think the only solution is to take the front calliper off. I am guessing that when the bike was put together, the rear caliper and body were bolted to the frame and then the front caliper was attached.

Top Bottom