How do people ride in Cities without getting killed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
forgot this point..

7) thank the people who showed you some kind of consideration, and didn't kill you. A wave or a thumbs up might spread a bit of good will.

GrasB

Veteran
slowmotion said:
1)Look over your shoulder every twenty seconds as a matter of routine.
2) Indicate clearly
3) Look over your shoulder at every traffic light and see what is going to try and pass you when it goes green.
4) Make eye contact with the vehicles, especially at any junction, even if you have the right of way
5) Do not ride in the gutter, take a safe line, but do not risk your life on a question of principle.
6) Let the bad stuff go, and do not dwell on it. (Yep that is hard...but it makes you happier, perhaps)

Safe rides to all.
Every 20s? I'd say you need to look 5 seconds.

nich

fossyant said:
Luck mainly, and experience......

Experience and knowing how to fall saved me from big injuries in Dec 08..... just a fubar'ed shoulder.....not dead fortunately.......

I think the experience thing is bang on. I'm new to commuting in London, and a couple of times I've come home and analysed bits that I thought were dodgy, and told myself off because I should have done things differently.

It's a very quick learning experience though, so hopefully I'm getting upto speed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's what I love about the video camera - you can go back and look at exactly what you did. It's resulted in much changing of the way I ride.

Being on here and seeing other peoples' riding being discussed (and torn apart) is like being in a pressure cooker of learning traffic skill.

Top Bottom