How do people sleep with unsupported head?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I'm tired enough I can sleep anywhere and in a (reasonable) range of conditions/positions:
but if I fall asleep with nothing holding my head up, it will roll to one side and I immediately jerk awake again. Even in a car - unless I can nestle into a corner, so that's usually back seats only.

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I can 't do it.

I've got to have 2 pillows or I won't sleep at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
like you, badly.

I am 6'4" tall so very few seats offer me much support at all. On an aeroplane I often try to use a pillow, elsewhere I go for the let it hang where it likes and wake up with a sore neck approach.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If I'm tired enough I can sleep anywhere and in a (reasonable) range of conditions/positions:
but if I fall asleep with nothing holding my head up, it will roll to one side and I immediately jerk awake again. Even in a car - unless I can nestle into a corner, so that's usually back seats only.

Same here, I put the trouble down to my elegant swan like neck.

I have a friend whose hair is so thick and curly she can use it as a pillow.

Downside being the extra heat in summer I'd imagine.

People who live in places where pillows are not a commonplace object have adapted various arm and hand positions to do the job

I've tried, to no avail, only got a numb arm for my trouble.

Even when out bike or backpacking I have to fashion a pillow of sorts out of a stuff sac filled with spare clothes , then a buff over the top as pillow slip..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I need two pillows, one being an L shape. Down to a mashed spine. I also find it very difficult to sleep in many hotel beds, not many are supportive enough. I also have a pillow in front of me so I can support my shoulder when sleeping on my side - again, issues from crashes over the years, and usually one behind me too so I can take some pressure off my back

It's good for you this cycling lark !

I'm like an old nana with loads of pillows. :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Same here, I put the trouble down to my elegant swan like neck.

I have a friend whose hair is so thick and curly she can use it as a pillow.

Downside being the extra heat in summer I'd imagine.

People who live in places where pillows are not a commonplace object have adapted various arm and hand positions to do the job

I've tried, to no avail, only got a numb arm for my trouble.

Even when out bike or backpacking I have to fashion a pillow of sorts out of a stuff sac filled with spare clothes , then a buff over the top as pillow slip..
Similar here although Maz was quite dismayed when I first took her camping that after a few drinkypoos 'quite close' to the tent was good enough for me in my 'chair'
1624889465656.png

I've had lower back pain for years (since a motorbike 'prang' in my early 20's) and one of these is a godsend I've had mine for 35+ years and they're great, no legs mean you can use it inside the tent without risking holes in the groundsheet and not only that it's warm as the base and back use a similar foam to 'sleepmats'

Are we talking about sleeping in bus shelters or other scenarios? If you have a rack bag or saddle bag take off bike and rest head on that.
No: I mean with my head/body upright e.g. sitting in a chair [with no side-support], or a car-seat (hence my car-seat example, which I hoped would clarify, but clearly failed!!!).

I see people sitting bolt upright and get all jealous.

I'm clearly luckier than some posters here, in that I can sleep on a flat soft surface quite easily (e.g. bed without a pillow). I prefer a firm pillow, but I can sleep without them.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I stopped sleeping with a pillow(s) about 40 years ago, always found when I woke up in the morning that my head was off the pillow, so chucked the pillow away, and been sleeping fine without ever since.
Usually go to sleep lying on my front with head turned to one side, no problem.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Dunno. I'm asleep at the time.

Normally I need my head supported, but when very tired I have fallen asleep on the sofa sitting completely upright and woken up 1/2 later in exactly the same position. Defies logic, but it has happened.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If the back of seat has some slope and what ever my head is resting on has a little bit of give, i can usually balance my head centrally and nod off.

My usual sleeping position is flat on my back, one pillow under head and one under my thighs (prevents a re-occurring back niggle) and my partner says I barely move all night

Top Bottom