How do you clean your chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

And if you want the definitive answer look here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Flossyrockstar

Über Member
MichaelM said:
Fit a powerlink (or the KMC equivalent for 10speed).

Take off chain. Put in an old food box. Spray with Shitshifter or similar. Rinse in bucket of water.
Wipe off, give it a good spray with lube, let that dry off while i'm fettling the cassette/rest of bike, refit.

What he said, also use old tooth brush to get right In the links.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
MichaelM said:
Fit a powerlink (or the KMC equivalent for 10speed).

Take off chain. Put in an old food box. Spray with Shitshifter or similar. Rinse in bucket of water.
Wipe off, give it a good spray with lube, let that dry off while i'm fettling the cassette/rest of bike, refit.

NNNnnnnoooooooooo

READ THIS AND LEARN.... See under Maintainance.
I figure they should know.

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

BUT Connex recomend solvent cleaning....
There is much voodoo.

However at SRAM:
Re: Cleaning of chains. The reason why we do not suggest leaving chains in a solvent tank is because it takes out all the lube between the pin and the inner plates. If we could make sure that people would then use a liquefied grease, then let it cool, we might suggest that people clean chains in a solvent tank. This is how we do it at our factory. We recommend that the user use cleaners that only attack the outer surfaces of the chain to take away the dirt and grime then re-lube. I personally have only used a rag to clean my chains for years and stay away from solvent tanks and jet washers. It's cheaper to replace a 10-15 dollar chain than it is to replace a Ti cog set and an XTR chainring set!

I hope that this helps you better understand chains and SRAM chains in particular. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Mark Pippin SRAM Product Management

I've used both solvent tank and the simple wipe and re-lube (Mickle-method) and and I'm pretty much of the KMC/SRAM Mickle belief.

Top Bottom