How Do You Deal With Traffic Coming From Behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I might also add, if you are NOT treated with respect, try not to instantly turn into a snarling, finger-flipping, yelling/face-making beast. It will only get you and/or other cyclists treated as poorly or worse. It's smart for us to stay the high road. šŸ‘

Also, it is *FAR* more satisfying to give nice smile and a cheery wave to the nugget that has been beeping you. Thank them for making you aware of their presence...

It annoys them so much more and you feel more relaxed and much happier.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a tailgater prosecuted & he ended up with 6 points and a load of fines thanks to the rear camera. He deliberately drove within inches of my back wheel despite me shouting for him to back off & it was quite terrifying.

I'll regularly pull over on narrow lanes if there's traffic building up behind me. Recently I bought a Zefal spy rear mirror which helps keep an eye out for drivers approaching from the rear, especially if there's wind noise stopping me hearing their approach.

I had a tailgater prosecuted & he ended up with 6 points and a load of fines thanks to the rear camera. He deliberately drove within inches of my back wheel despite me shouting for him to back off & it was quite terrifying.

I'll regularly pull over on narrow lanes if there's traffic building up behind me. Recently I bought a Zefal spy rear mirror which helps keep an eye out for drivers approaching from the rear, especially if there's wind noise stopping me hearing their approach.
What camera do you use?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
What camera do you use?
What camera do you use?

An Aldi Maxtek combined light/camera which I bought in 2017. The footage is not as good as 1080 HDR, and recorded in .AVI in five-minute sections so it's not as practical as the more modern offerings, but if a driver's close enough to be causing a problem it is usually more than adequate. I'd look at an ETC Watchman as a replacement.

battered

Guru
I don't see it as "coping" with traffic in any shape or form. It's simply a question of riding in a safe and aware manner for any given situation. Instinctive really. Ride a metre from the kerb and in most situations one is in a safe position which requires drivers to pass in a sensible manner - which most do. It's also a position which effectively "takes the lane" where the road narrows for any number of reasons.

Shoulder checking is instinctive.

If I felt I had to "cope" with other road users I'd probably give up.
Come to Bradford. Actually no, we'll take it easy first and have a tootle around Leeds. Then if you are still this confident we can take on the big dog.:okay:

yello

Take control of your part of the road, own it and make other road users treat you with respect.

Sorry in advance, I'm not picking on you, you made a point about something I was going to remark upon.

I will take primary (or 'own the road') when I think it's safe to do so. You cannot make other road users respect you, you kind of have to ask that they do. There are situations where it's suicidal (at worst) and belligerent (at best) to assert yourself and demand respect. It's me that's the vulnerable one so I will take the coward's option, if I can put it like that, in my own best interest.

I do believe in, and try to practice, being 'situationally aware' and will modify my actions accordingly. There are occasions where I might well be in my right to do something (e.g. take primary) but will opt to pull over (for instance) instead. Fast A roads (as mentioned above) are an instance where I might well choose, out of self interest, to not attempt to take control.

I suppose, simply put, I don't ride to provoke and if I judge that my actions might well do that (however 'correct' they might be) then I back away.

Last edited:

yello

sometimes I let'm pass

I'll regularly pull over on narrow lanes if there's traffic building up behind me.

Yep, that's the sort of thing I mean. Guidelines are only that, a rule of thumb sort of thing. You adapt them according to the situation.

Sorry in advance, I'm not picking on you, you made a point about something I was going to remark upon.

I will take primary (or 'own the road') when I think it's safe to do so. You cannot make other road users respect you, you kind of have to ask that they do. There are situations where it's suicidal (at worst) and belligerent (at best) to assert yourself and demand respect. It's me that's the vulnerable one so I will take the coward's option, if I can put it like that, in my own best interest.

I do believe in, and try to practice, being 'situationally aware' and will modify my actions accordingly. There are occasions where I might well be in my right to do something (e.g. take primary) but will opt to pull over (for instance) instead. Fast A roads (as mentioned above) are an instance where I might well choose, out of self interest, to not attempt to take control.

I suppose, simply put, I don't ride to provoke and if I judge that my actions might well do that (however 'correct' they might be) then I back away.
Got it in one, IMHO.

battered

Guru

It's true, it's a judgement call. I don't ride belligerently, or drive I such a fashion, however there are instances where you can make another road user treat you with respect by taking an assertive road position. As you have said, ride clear of the kerb and drivers will have to go round you because going through you would wreck their paint. Sure, they can still close pass you, but it's less likely than if you are in the gutter and inviting i t. If they can't do it witnout wreck ing their paint, they won't, and you have indeed made them behave correctly.

johnnyb47

Guru
I made the mistake last night of not using a primary position on the road. A passing car came way to close for my liking thinking they could squeeze past. If i would of cycled a little further away from the curb it would of stopped the temptation of the driver.
Another Lesson learnt

mikeIow

Guru
A vote here for the Garmin Varia as a brilliant safety device!
Instantly hooks up with my Wahoo Roam.
Lets me know about vehicles coming up, often before I hear them.

I then position myself accordingly: if I donā€™t think it is safe to pass (coming to brow of hill or bend, or perhaps cars coming the other way, narrow road, etc), I wobble a little and move out. If it is safe, I pedal on, maybe with the wobble to make them think I might be a dodgy cyclist.
I donā€™t look over my shoulder - they wonā€™t know that I know they are thereā€¦ā€¦
Works brilliantly.

All that saidā€¦..on a busy commute, I can imagine the beeps etc being irritating & less helpful: I am lucky enough to be a leisure cyclist.

Top Bottom